Capacity recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeNM View Post
    Thank you, J.P.M., for your sensitivity.

This was my first ever post about my first ever solar system, and I just shared what I knew. While I respect Sunking's apparently greater expertise in solar, I do wonder why he is so unpleasant about it. It certainly wasn't my intent to question his fine recommendation on post #3. Sometimes on forums you run across people with anger management problem. Words like "idiot" and "smoking dope" are not edifying. I prefer not to spend my free time on forums with unpleasant people. There are other solar forums where people are much nicer. We are all just trying to learn from one another.

On the positive side, Sunking's C/5 maximum charging information is helpful, although in his angry arrogance he seems to have missed some of the details I shared about the system I am installing on my RV. I have four 6V 235 AH batteries in a 12V series-parallel configuration, so that is 470 AH at 12V.
    470 AH / 5 = 94 Amps max allowable charging rate
    915 Watts / 12 Volts = 76 Amps max available charging rate
    So my three 305 Watt panels could only charge my batteries at C/6. (470 AH / 76 Amps = 6.2)

My system is designed to keep the RV batteries charged during family winter ski trips when the sun is lower in the sky than in the summer. Our family had a great time skiing in Colorado this year in our RV, but got tired of running the generator for hours the next day.

As for Depth of Discharge (DOD), NAWS has some comments that are particularly relevant for an RV system:
    https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...es%20vs%20Life
    "Obviously, there are some practical limitations on this - you don't usually want to have a 5 ton pile of batteries sitting there just to reduce the DOD. The most practical number to use is 50% DOD on a regular basis." In this article they discuss the inverse relationship between DOD and battery lifetime.

Are MPPT solar charge controllers designed so they don't "cook the batteries?" I know the Intellipower AC charge controller in my RV automatically adjusts the charging voltage so it doesn't cook the batteries. I bought a Classic150 charge controller based on the recommendation from Northern Arizona Wind & Sun, but I haven't studied it yet.

While I am a newbie to solar (my RV is my first solar project), I do have some general technical experience, and will continue to look for forums with pleasant, helpful people.

PhD EE, PE, PMP, Supercomputer designer, Retired Professor of Electrical Engineering,etc.
    I've had a lot of characteristics imputed to me, but sensitivity has not been one of the more common ones.

I offered the comment as one possible source of what may have been a misinterpretation or a misunderstanding of information from another source. Sensitive's got nothin' to do with it.

As for any unpleasantness around here, I'd not take any of it from most any source too seriously and certainly not personally. Besides, unpleasantness is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes folks who exhibit snowflake behavior confuse what they consider unpleasantness with reality.

I was the one who characterized this place as the forum of few(er) illusions. I do believe, even though this is not a professional forum, that there is a higher level of technical skill here when it comes to renewable and alternate energy than some other places. If what some (and perhaps you) view as abrasive reality comes as the price of safer, better and more complete information, well, call that the price of admission. Some posters here can get $250/hr. as consultants for what they supply for free around here. Besides, no one's feet are nailed to the floor here, including those seeking advice they may not like.

As for what SK may offer in terms of technical advice, I'd suggest that until you find an error in it, you ignore it at your peril. You can also Ignore his style as well if it is not to your liking.

As you learn more of solar energy applications, you will most likely become more aware of its limitations as well as its potential. You may also come to appreciate what others now know that you so far may not know.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeNM View Post
      This was my first ever post about my first ever solar system, and I just shared what I knew. While I respect Sunking's apparently greater expertise in solar, I do wonder why he is so unpleasant about it.
      Oh get a load of yourself. I jumped you because you gave DANGEROUS ADVICE that should be be ignored. Blind cannot lead the blind. Sure forums are about learning, and your so called sharing way is the wrong way.

Sort of like gun safety by idiots. "Look down the barrel to see if it is loaded or not" Change of heart, that might be a good thing, one less idiot.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Thank goodness for the gruffness. Gets the attention of the people that need to take this seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian53713 View Post
          Thank goodness for the gruffness. Gets the attention of the people that need to take this seriously.
          Maybe we should all turn into hand holders and enablers. Perhaps it would improve the gene pool.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Maybe we should all turn into hand holders and enablers. Perhaps it would improve the gene pool.
            You mean politically correct. People who are politically correct are two faced liars. They will not even be honest with themselves and afraid of blunt truth.

I have no clue why MikeMN took offense, I never said anything about him other that what he had been told was pure BS from an idiot. I guess if we were together and he was about to walk off a cliff, just let him go and SPLAT, instead of slap him upside the head to get his attention. Might hurt his poor little feelings saving his butt. If you want to learn, listen to the pros, not some salesman on AZ Wind & Turd Forum who will tell you what you want to hear to make a sale.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              You mean politically correct. People who are politically correct are two faced liars. They will not even be honest with themselves and afraid of blunt truth.

I have no clue why MikeMN took offense, I never said anything about him other that what he had been told was pure BS from an idiot. I guess if we were together and he was about to walk off a cliff, just let him go and SPLAT, instead of slap him upside the head to get his attention. Might hurt his poor little feelings saving his butt. If you want to learn, listen to the pros, not some salesman on AZ Wind & Turd Forum who will tell you what you want to hear to make a sale.
              No, I meant what I wrote. And with a somewhat humorous, if lame, attempt at humor with the idea that the best humor has a kernel of truth in it.

Not trying to do anyone else's thinking, but maybe MikeMN didn't take offense as much as a defensive posture when neither may have been necessary.

As for lying, the way I learned it, lying has a conscious and willful quality about it that involves an intent to deceive. Look, I'm on the same page with you for calling out P.C. as B.S. But holding P.C. in high regard doesn't, IMO, make someone a liar. Misguided maybe. Maybe immature and naive, but opinions vary. Still, I believe I understand that says nothing about personal, professional and ethical responsibility to get things correct and not say/do/imply things that can do harm to others. Sometimes such calling out is mandated, especially when safety is involved.

The question becomes how to best call out such unsafe or damaging behavior in a venue such as this.

I was once a peddler. Sometimes people can be complete dolts, but as a practical matter, If I'm trying to convince people of the rightness of my cause, continually and generally pissing them off on a regular basis didn't prove to be the best way to get the great unwashed masses on my side. Easier than other methods maybe, but not always the best. Maybe just the laziest. When I did it, I felt good, but my commissions suffered and people were less convinced I knew anything.

As for the cliff/slap upside the head analogy, I'd suggest a shout if out of reach or a pull back from the cliff if close enough might have a higher probability of a safer outcome than possibly knocking someone off balance with a slap upside the head. So it can go with attempts at corrective thinking. Been my experience if folks can change their thinking, my chances of helping them do so are better if I don't put them on the defensive or piss'em off too much.

Still, some folks you just can't reach. In such cases damage control if the form of warning others as you do with Karrick or as I do with Dan K. is called for.

Comment

Working...
              X