X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Solimo
    • Mar 2018

RV Trailer Solar System - Integration Questions

Hi,

I am new to Solar and in the process of installing a 320W solar system on my 2008 Fleetwood Lynx Trailer.
    I have been doing a lot of research and i hope the system design is not completely off.
    The plan is to have the system produce enough energy to run the basic 12V appliances for one day or two.
    These would be 12v fridge (could also run on gas), 1-2 led lights, fan, gas detector, 1 mobile phone, waterpump for dishes.

So far the system consists of
    2 panels (eco worthy) 160W each, total 320W
    20A MTTP Controler (eco worthy)
    2 6V AGM Interstate Batteries with 225ampH capacity
    1 12V Interstate house batters with 75ampH

Things i might want to integrate are
    300W pure sinus inverter to charge a mac book
    Converter to charge batteries with shore line

My main questions at the moment are around how to integrate the solar with the existing 12V system of the Trailer. Specifically:
    1) Can is simply attache the 8AWG wire used in the trailer for the house battery to my 6V batteries (in series) to power the 12V system?
    2) I am assuming that the existing converter will damage my batteries, therefore i consider replacing it to be able to charge the batteries with shore energy. In case i dont want to do that. Is it enough to get a circuit breaker and disconnect the battries from the system when i have shore energy and do not want to the converter to charge them?
    3) I am planning to mount my panels at the front of the trailer and run the cable at the outside underneath and through the bottom into a front storage compartment. Would that be advisable or do i need to run the cables through the roof?
    4) Does anyone have experience with 3M VHB 4950 tape? I am planning to use it to mount the panels on 6 or 8 brackets.

Thank you very much for any kind of advice.

Kind regards,
    Andreas
Working...