FYI if your not aware: Dual battery systems and late model Vehicles.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bala
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2010

FYI if your not aware: Dual battery systems and late model Vehicles.

The cheapest most simple system for connecting the start battery with the auxiliary battery is as we know the VSR, ( Voltage Sensing Relay) A downside of this is that we have batteries in parallel but not such a big deal.

I did post some time ago that some later model vehicles were running low charge rates so not good for charging in dual systems.

I have had a new vehicle for 12 months now. It basically has a shunt system on the negative post that measures current in out and just replaces what is needed to recharge the battery. You need to make sure any extras are earthed to the chassis prior to the shunt not, on the neg post or or the ECU wont sense the current draw.

So really need to know what vehicle it is if a VSR is being recommended over a DC DC charger ( Not a Solar Reg) . A decent DC DC charger will take 9v -32v input and generally have 3 stage program. I know 3 stage is not perhaps needed but that is what they are. I have seen a lot of one brand in use and they are pretty reliable but not cheap.

I dont want to advertise a brand so if you want more info search "dual battery system for cars with smart charge systems"
Working...