Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunking... Have a Question. How Do I Kill My Starter When Connected to Shore Power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunking... Have a Question. How Do I Kill My Starter When Connected to Shore Power?

Your wisdom helped me design a very nice system for my van which is 90% complete. When the project is done I will post pics here in another month or so. I have not been to the forum in about 6 months.

I have another question for you. Part of my system is being able to be connected to shore power which also runs a 12V 30 amp charger which charges the system when connected. Here is what I need to do. I want to install a fail safe so the van can not be started when it is connected to shore power. I will be plugging in a lot and god forbid if I ever managed to forget and drive away while plugged in it would rip a huge hole in the side of my van.

I would normally just use a relay that would kill the ignition power when there is power coming from the back, BUT, since there are 2 golf cart batteries back there, there is always at least 12.6 Volts so I need a way to detect when it's plugged in the and voltage jumps to 13.7 which then triggers a relay or another work around.

any wisdom you have on this would be greatly appreciated

Is that shore power 120V AC? Just use a 120V relay to to interrupt power to solenoid when present. There are LVD BATTERY relays for about $10 and their voltage transition voltage can be raised with a couple diodes. These are reverse of the operation you want and a second relay would have to be added. Want to build something?

Comment

Originally posted by PNPmacnab View Post
      Is that shore power 120V AC? Just use a 120V relay to to interrupt power to solenoid when present. There are LVD BATTERY relays for about $10 and their voltage transition voltage can be raised with a couple diodes. These are reverse of the operation you want and a second relay would have to be added. Want to build something?
      After thinking about it I have decided that instead of this idea to go with a simple kill switch and add it to the connection protocol.

1. Flip kill switch
      2. Plug in shore power

There might be some instance where I want to be plugged in and have the motor running. I can't think of anything now, but, that's what unknown unknowns are.
      Last edited by austexdude469; 12-12-2017, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by austexdude469 View Post
        After thinking about it I have decided that instead of this idea to go with a simple kill switch and add it to the connection protocol.
        If you can solve it with a change to the protocol, just change the protocol to 'disconnect from shore power' prior to 'drive away'.

Comment

zip tie your ignition key to the shore power cable.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

It's all part of being partially OCD... It allows me to be meticulous and do things right when I get focused on something but I'm prone to forgetting things like that once in a while and knowing your faults is half the battle of being able to defeat them before they happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
              zip tie your ignition key to the shore power cable.
              Took the words right out of my mouth.

Honestly you really do not want a Interlock and only asking for problems. Mike and my way is 100% effective and cost nothing.
              Last edited by Sunking; 12-13-2017, 05:27 PM.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                Took the words right out of my mouth.

Honestly you really do not want a Interlock and only asking for problems. Mike and my way is 100% effective and cost nothing.
                Not gonna happen. Last thing I want to do is leave the key ziptied to a van that I just sank close to 20K into while I go off exploring the Grand Canyon and things like that. Ill come back and it will be gone and half way to Mexico.

Do you see any problems with the kill switch method?

Comment

A Kill Switch can work. Use to use them in vehicles all the time hidden from view. Keys are of no use to a thief with a Kill Switch. Good luck.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Not gonna happen. Last thing I want to do is leave the key ziptied to a van that I just sank close to 20K into while I go off exploring the Grand Canyon and things like that. Ill come back and it will be gone and half way to Mexico.

Do you see any problems with the kill switch method?
                    Yes. It is a nightmare and introduces several failure points, it brings 120VAC into proximity of your 12VDC (only a shorted relay coil away)

So get creative with how you tie the key to the shore power cord. How about a real estate key box. Like the ones that have push button latch to allow 300 realtors access to the
                    door key for the $300,000 house. Put your RV key in that, and lock the box to the shore cord.
                    Less than $20 on amazon REALTOR KEY LOCK BOX Safe Vault.

But remember, there is always some scum ready to smash a window and steal your gear, no matter what.
                    Unless the scum think they might get ventilated with .357 cal holes
                    DoorKnobLockBox.jpg

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

Yes. It is a nightmare and introduces several failure points, it brings 120VAC into proximity of your 12VDC (only a shorted relay coil away)

So get creative with how you tie the key to the shore power cord. How about a real estate key box. Like the ones that have push button latch to allow 300 realtors access to the
                      door key for the $300,000 house. Put your RV key in that, and lock the box to the shore cord.
                      Less than $20 on amazon REALTOR KEY LOCK BOX Safe Vault.

But remember, there is always some scum ready to smash a window and steal your gear, no matter what.
                      Unless the scum think they might get ventilated with .357 cal holes DoorKnobLockBox.jpg

No I only carry my CC sidearm in the van which is a 380. Not as big a hole but still effective at venting scum.

Comment

No I only carry my CC sidearm in the van which is a 380. Not as big a hole but still effective at venting scum.
                        A 380 is most effective when carried in your purse, so when you hit someone with your purse over the head will knock them out cold. Don't shoot anyone with it as it will just make them mad enough to kill you.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

A 380 is most effective when carried in your purse, so when you hit someone with your purse over the head will knock them out cold. Don't shoot anyone with it as it will just make them mad enough to kill you.
                          lol Funny... You should write bumper stickers for a living :P

Comment

I did one years ago when in College at OU. sold thousands of them . Just about every car in Norman had one.

Tuck Fexas

In 1984 my younger brother made one that went nation wide Run Jesse Run. Got rich and retired out of college.
                            Last edited by Sunking; 12-20-2017, 04:46 PM.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

I think SK would make a great bumper sticker writer, but when he's not inserting his ass kicking foot in some poster's fundament while simultaneously giving serious and professional advice, he's running his charm school, so my bet is he's probably pretty tied up. A man's gotta' have priorities.

SK : Apologies for referring to you in the 3d person.

Comment

Working...
                              X