Need advice on rv set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on rv set up

Usage 1200 watt hrs daily 400 watts pv on pmw 3.8 dec sun hrs. 416 amp hr battery. How many watts do i need for pwm vs mppt.

I will let you figure it out.

Panel Watts for MPPT = [Daily Watt Hours x 1.5] / Sun Hours.

Panel Watts for PWM = Daily Watt Hours x 2] / Sun Hours.

Lets do PWM together and you can do MPPT on your own and never have to ask again.

1200 x 2 / 3.8 = 685 watts, round up to 700 watts with PWM

MPPT = ??? The answer is hidden below in GREAT BIG BOLD 36 FONT. See if you can find it.

500 WATTS
    Last edited by Sunking; 12-03-2017, 09:06 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Easy enough. so 3 more panels and a tristar 60 pwm $600 or 1 panel and 45 amp mppt $600. on a 75 foot run that a no brainer. Thanks sun king

Comment

Originally posted by Ho jo View Post
        Easy enough. so 3 more panels and a tristar 60 pwm $600 or 1 panel and 45 amp mppt $600. on a 75 foot run that a no brainer. Thanks sun king
        Suggestion, really look hard at the 60A MPPT tristar, it has a very nice web interface for it, hook it to a wireless router, and you can monitor anywhere the wifi reaches. Neither morningstar ships with the digital meter panel, that is an extra $100 roughly, so without the meter panel, or the web interface, you have no data unless you hook up your RS232 cable to your serial port.

PS -I'm biased, I own 2 of the MPPT 60A tristars
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Am I doing this wrong 1200 X2 2400

Comment

2400 divided 3.8 = 631

Comment

Mike where I'm at you can't get an address without first putting in a 25000 septic system so meter it is. Sun king has been of help to me. Maybe his people skills are a little rough.

Comment

Where I'm at you can't get an address with out first getting a 25000 septic. Hard to get wifi so meter it is.60 amp would give me room to grow

Comment

Mike hard to get wifi where I'm at

Comment

For monitoring,
                    You don't "get" wi-fi, you buy a $40 router and make your own wi-fi
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                      For monitoring,
                      You don't "get" wi-fi, you buy a $40 router and make your own wi-fi
                      Not sure about Morningstar, but there are phone apps for many charge controllers.
                      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Oh I see you don't need Internet just the router. And how many watt hrs for the router. Don't even have cell phone service unless you go 2 miles away

Comment

I'm just trying to get through winter while saving all I can for utilities. Hopefully I can get on grid before next winter. Question is whether I could stack 2 renogy wanderer 30 amp 300 watts on each and cut back to 1100 watt hrs couple hrs less tv?

Comment

A wi-Fi router, to provide data from your controller to any web browser (iPhone, Android, laptop, desktop) would draw about 5 watts. You could turn it on once a day, get the battery charge readings, and turn it off..
                            The LIVE view gives current PV volts & amps, and battery charge V & A and wattage
                            Here's a sample of the daily report
                            TristarLog_Dec3.png

Comment

Originally posted by Ho jo View Post
                              I'm just trying to get through winter while saving all I can for utilities. Hopefully I can get on grid before next winter. Question is whether I could stack 2 renogy wanderer 30 amp 300 watts on each and cut back to 1100 watt hrs couple hrs less tv?
                              For others following along, there is more information about the OP's system in this post.

In winter, when it is cold out, the difference in performance between a PWM and MPPT CC will be significant. The real world Vmp could very well be *higher* than the Vmp at STC listed on the PV panel datasheet, and the PWM will be only operating the PV system at slightly over battery voltage. You could be looking at a 40% difference in energy produced between the two.

On a budget, the Tracer 4210A would be a fairly significant upgrade over the PWM controller you are using now, for $150.

With that controller, and 100 V max input, the 100 W panels could be safely wired into 3 panel strings. So, 600 W, consisting of two strings in parallel. Two more 100 W panels should cost something like $200-$250.

The controller would self limit to 40 A max output in the middle of clear, cold, sunny days, but otherwise would be providing *much* more charging power than you are getting now. 40 A output, if the panels are oriented optimally enough to achieve it, is ok for the 416 Ah battery.
                              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...
                              X