Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brenna View Post
    As i posted earlier I have the following items;

4 Evergreen Solar 210W panels (model ES-A-210-fa2)
    1 Outback Power FlexMax 80 Charge Controller
    1 Inverter 3000w

I want to hook up the panels in parallel (laying flat on the truck) using #10 AWG wire.

1) Should I hook up the panels in parallelI or in series or in 2P2S? I want to install a battery disconnect switch between the house batteries and the truck starter batteries so if the house batteries are dead i can charge them while i drive.
    You wire the panels 2S2P to take advantage of the MPPT controller. 10 AWG will work but is overkill.

DO NOT PUT A SWITCH IN. IT WILL BLOW UP IN YOUR FACE.

Use an Electronic Battery Isolator. The batteries will always charge whenever the motor is running. Do that and you wil not need the solar and it only cost $50 to $75 for the Isolator and keeps your face on your head and fingers on your hand.

The truck batteries are AGM and there are two of them.

2) Do the house batteries need to be deep cycle AGM batteries to match the truck batteries?
    3) If not, what batteries should I purchase for my solar system that are maintenance free? (cannot afford lithium)
    You would not want lithium even if you could afford them. You want Deep Cycle Batteries of either AGM or FLA. But there is a catch. AGM cost twice as much as FLA and only last half as long making them as expensive as Lithium costing you 400% more than FLA.

DO NOT BUY 12 volt batteries. Buy 6-volt 200 to 250 AH Golf Cart Batteries wired in series to make 12 volts. Which reminds me, loose two panels as you cannot put enough batteries to handle 840 watts of panels. At 840 watts into 12 volt batteries would require 500 AH battery. No possible way you can out 4 Gold cart batteries into your truck.

Last comment. Get rid of the 3000 watt Inverter. That is a fire waiting to happen and there is no way you can terminated the cable required as big as your wrist, not can any battery supply the 300 plus amps required. It would require a 2400 AH battery or about 1300 pound battery to run a 12 volt 3000 watt Inverter. You have been warned.
    Last edited by Sunking; 06-06-2018, 08:32 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

1) Should I hook up the panels in parallelI or in series or in 2P2S?
      Doesn't matter much; your wiring is going to be short, so losses will be lower to begin with. Be sure you use the Outback's current limit function to limit charge current to C/8 (i.e. 28 amps for T105's)
      I want to install a battery disconnect switch between the house batteries and the truck starter batteries so if the house batteries are dead i can charge them while i drive.
      Use a battery isolator, as mentioned. They are designed for this.
      2) Do the house batteries need to be deep cycle AGM batteries to match the truck batteries?
      Nope.
      3) If not, what batteries should I purchase for my solar system that are maintenance free? (cannot afford lithium)
      T-105's, otherwise known as golf cart batteries. Readily available and cheap. If you don't want to maintain them, then just don't and just replace them when they die. Still cheaper than AGM.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
        Doesn't matter much; your wiring is going to be short, so losses will be lower to begin with. Be sure you use the Outback's current limit function to limit charge current to C/8 (i.e. 28 amps for T105's)
        Do you see a problem with that? He has 840 watts of panels. At 28 amps of charge current is 360 watts. Better off just loosing 2 panels than carry around all that dead weight.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          Do you see a problem with that? He has 840 watts of panels. At 28 amps of charge current is 360 watts. Better off just loosing 2 panels than carry around all that dead weight.
          mounted flat, they are only making 60% of nameplate power, and if they are already mounted..... At 2pm, the margarita blender needs all the power it can get !
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

At 2pm, the margarita blender needs all the power it can get !

If I started doing Margarita's at 2:00 I wouldn't see sunset!

2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

i like the margarita idea. Thanks to everyone for all of your help and imput

Comment

Comment

major upgrade also got a victron energy multiplus 12 3000 120 with a color display to add to the system also a powermax pmts 50

Comment

Watch the no load draw on your inverter. This can be higher than running a full size refrigerator for some inverters.
                    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Not sure in Victrons 12/3000. My Magnum 12v 3000w hybrid inverter is 2ah idle draw.

Comment

I just saw you listed GEL batteries. If you have mis-remembered AGM batteries as GEL, no problem. If they are really GEL, you will have problems recharging them, GEL cannot be quickly recharged, they are for float charge only.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

thank you mike know i am actually thinking lithium batteries but dont know if the outback flex max 80 will charge lithium batteries

Comment

Nearly any charger can charge Li batteries.

it takes special settings to not let the battery burn up in a cloud of toxic fumes from overcharge.

If the outback charger has adjustable setpoints AND your battery has a reliable BMS, you should be OK. Not all BMS's are reliable.

Comment

Working...
                            X