X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inxider
    • Sep 2017

Camping, Power outage setup

Hello,
    I would like some tips from more experiences users.
    I plan on buying a 100w Solar panel kit or put together one with different brands.
    It seem that they produce around 5.2Amp on a good day.
    I have two 12v 12Ah batteries that are for the kid power wheels but would have dual use for camping or power outage to connect small Caframo Fans that draw low current 0.440mah So it can run for over 12hours. Fan link - http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...148&id=2137665.

1.How can I control the maximum output from the solar charge controller? So that I dont kill the small batteries.
    2.How can I monitor the Amp going into the batteries? Wattmeter link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Moni...-/232305445789
    3.How to monitor the power used from the batteries with the same watt meter as above on #3 or something else?
    4.Are there solar charge controller that can do #2 and then I would just need a watt meter from the batteries to the Fans?

Thanks.
  • NEOH
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Inxider
    Hello,
    I would like some tips from more experiences users.
    I plan on buying a 100w Solar panel kit or put together one with different brands.
    It seem that they produce around 5.2Amp on a good day.
    I have two 12v 12Ah batteries that are for the kid power wheels but would have dual use for camping or power outage to connect small Caframo Fans that draw low current 0.440mah So it can run for over 12hours. Fan link - http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...148&id=2137665.

1.How can I control the maximum output from the solar charge controller? So that I dont kill the small batteries.
    2.How can I monitor the Amp going into the batteries? Wattmeter link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Moni...-/232305445789
    3.How to monitor the power used from the batteries with the same watt meter as above on #3 or something else?
    4.Are there solar charge controller that can do #2 and then I would just need a watt meter from the batteries to the Fans?

Thanks.
    1) A good Solar Charge Controller will regulate itself.
    2) Yes, connect your Power Meter between the 2 wires of the Charge Controller and the Battery Bank.
    3) Yes, connect your Power Meter between the 2 wires of the Fans and of the Battery Bank.
    4) Yes

Comment

• Logan5
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2013

You could consider a larger and or a serviceable battery and a good smart charger to keep batteries ready. Only using the solar panel to supplement when grid is unavailable or camping. Your 12 AH batteries have barely enough reserve to charge a couple cell phones. I have a portable battery I have put together, it has a 35AH AGM battery and a terminal fuse block, with 2.5mm and cigarette lighter receptacles. I keep it charged from mains till I need it. We used it to watch an 11" 12v TV during hurricane and wile generator was resting between runs. After our power was restored I recharged it and loaned it to friends who live in a condo with an Endless breeze fan so they could sleep. Adding unreliable cyclical solar would complicate things and risk damaging the batteries if by chance, one forgot it and left the panel out of the sun. I own and use that same watt meter and is is very accurate for loads under 8 of it's 10 stated amps, Above 8 amps and it gets hot. A good charge controller w/display will give you much of this information you desire. Don't buy anything, Keep doing your research, take your time, so you know exactly what your needs are and have a intermediate to advanced understanding of low voltage battery systems. Will save you from buying a closet full solar junk you will never need.

Comment

• Inxider
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by NEOH

1) A good Solar Charge Controller will regulate itself.
        2) Yes, connect your Power Meter between the 2 wires of the Charge Controller and the Battery Bank.
        3) Yes, connect your Power Meter between the 2 wires of the Fans and of the Battery Bank.
        4) Yes
        thanks, is there a good one not to expensive that you can recommend, I looked in amazon and there are literally hundred but difficult to know if the output parameters can be changed and if they take current readings.

Comment

• Inxider
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Logan5
          You could consider a larger and or a serviceable battery and a good smart charger to keep batteries ready. Only using the solar panel to supplement when grid is unavailable or camping. Your 12 AH batteries have barely enough reserve to charge a couple cell phones. I have a portable battery I have put together, it has a 35AH AGM battery and a terminal fuse block, with 2.5mm and cigarette lighter receptacles. I keep it charged from mains till I need it. We used it to watch an 11" 12v TV during hurricane and wile generator was resting between runs. After our power was restored I recharged it and loaned it to friends who live in a condo with an Endless breeze fan so they could sleep. Adding unreliable cyclical solar would complicate things and risk damaging the batteries if by chance, one forgot it and left the panel out of the sun. I own and use that same watt meter and is is very accurate for loads under 8 of it's 10 stated amps, Above 8 amps and it gets hot. A good charge controller w/display will give you much of this information you desire. Don't buy anything, Keep doing your research, take your time, so you know exactly what your needs are and have a intermediate to advanced understanding of low voltage battery systems. Will save you from buying a closet full solar junk you will never need.
          yes I am trying to collect as much info as I can, but that was my plan just to power small current fans. And charge the batteries during the day.
          I thought the wattmeter is rated for 100amp, do you mean 80 of 100amps?

Still have not found much info on a good charge controller that could provide some basic info on the screen.
          not sure what brand/models to look for.

I have semi knowledge of batteries not a full on expert. but always learning.
          I just want to be ready as I think the Hurricane season is not over yet.

Any one also know of a good clamp ammeter.
          I found the Uni-T UT210E and Klein Tools CL800.
          what you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

I have both of those clamp meters. Like them both. The Klein is a good value . The Uni-T is very inexpensive and a convenient, small size.. I cant comment on it's accuracy yet but it sure seems like a pretty good AC/DC clamp meter for the money.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Inxider
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by littleharbor
              I have both of those clamp meters. Like them both. The Klein is a good value . The Uni-T is very inexpensive and a convenient, small size.. I cant comment on it's accuracy yet but it sure seems like a pretty good AC/DC clamp meter for the money.
              I just saw this post on another forum, http://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/n...recall-195865/.
              it seem is not a favorite brand now I have my doubts.
              I might have to step it up to the Amprobe AMP-330 or Fluke 325

Comment

• Logan5
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2013

LOL@ 60volts at 100 amps. Do not test anything near 100 amps with this meter. It is a good meter for small things.

Comment

• Inxider
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Logan5
                  LOL@ 60volts at 100 amps. Do not test anything near 100 amps with this meter. It is a good meter for small things.
                  Which one are you talking about?

Comment

• Inxider
                    • Sep 2017

I cant seem to find a solar charge controller that can adjust the output current only the voltage.
                    Can I use this hobby grade charger?

Spec:
                    1-12 cell Pb (2-24V)
                    7-32V DC Power Supply

what you guys think, hook it up a few hours to charge small batteries like the 12Ah from the 100W solar panel.

Comment

Working...