X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AzRoute66
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2017

Fifth Wheel Camper Battery Addition

Sorry if I am rehashing something already beat to death but I am not done grinding through the 20 pages of topics in this area and I just got an email from my hunting buddy regarding the batteries in his 30' fifth wheel camper. He currently has two FLA 6V golf cart batteries wedged/jammed (they are tight) into the battery compartment. He says he is going to expand capacity by going to four (2S2P configuration) 6V batteries. Specifically these four:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop

I hope I posted that link right.

He is planning to install two in the current battery compartment, modifying the tray if need be, and to secure the other two batteries in one of the main storage compartments. They share a common wall and would be located right next to the charge controller, and quite difficult to get to - essentially you would have to crawl inside of the approximately 20" tall compartment. From what he says, and what I recall, there is no other space that would realistically accommodate them.

So, secure them, punch a hole in the wall for the two connecting cables, dust yourself off and call it a day.

Or is it? Please feel free to attack AGM choice, these batteries in particular, fumes, other stuff (probably metals) adrift in the compartment, options, extra protections, any common sense obvious to any dog (we are not overly possessed of common sense at times). So far, the only thing I told him is to make sure he changes the battery type in the charge controller from FLA to AGM and to not try to hand crimp the connectors to the homemade battery cables like he did last time... No, I have no real idea of what length these connecting cables would be, let's say equal length less than 36".

Knowing him, he could be punching 'Add to cart' at any moment.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

What a rip-off, $1000 for 4 no-name crap batteries. You can buy Trojan 6V-AGM for a little less or about the same price.

If he wants no-name no thrills at least use a supplier you can trust and will be less expensive. Any Walmart, Costco, or Sam's carries 6 volt 225 AH AGM golf cart batteries. . If there is a problem take them back with a receipt and they will replace them no questions asked. All three store brands are made by Interstate which is a good low end entry level battery.

EDIT NOTE:

Go look at your link. Something stinks like a Rat. Look at the Trojan batteries, then look at the ones you linked to and tell me what you do not see on a Trojan AGM Battery. Could it be Caps? AGM do not have Caps.
    Last edited by Sunking; 07-25-2017, 08:10 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• AzRoute66
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2017

Sunking, thanks. I really don't know the market. Actually, I think the two he has wedged in there currently are the Costco (Interstate) golf cart batteries you mentioned.

I was thinking those were handles on top, but I will troll around to other websites until I find a better picture.

Was there something specific in the battery manufacturer or specs that led to the 'crap batteries' description?

EDIT: For Christs Sakes, those ARE caps. I will address that. Anything, anything else, appreciated.
      Last edited by AzRoute66; 07-25-2017, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by AzRoute66
        Sunking, thanks
        You are welcome.

Originally posted by AzRoute66
        Was there something specific in the battery manufacturer or specs that led to the 'crap batteries' description?
        Two things:

1. Never heard of them before.
        2. Caps on an VRLA AGM battery.

Now having said that AGM batteries do have valves. But those look like fill Caps. Me thinks a maintenance free FLA, but I could be wrong because I have never heard of them. They are priced like an AGM, but hell bells you can get good name brand AGM's for that price like Trojan or Rolls. Just my experience raising Red Flags something is not right.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...