Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joerossjr
    • May 2016

Suggested Panel-CC-Batt ckt breaker interlock

Hi all!!! Thanks for all the previous help. I would like to install an interlock on the breakers between my panels, controller, and batteries so that the panels can never be on unless the batteries are connected. I have a small 2 slot Square-D breaker box, and I'd like to maybe fit an interlock, or get a 2 slot breaker box that can fit one. Any suggestions on parts to purchase?? Thank you!!
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

I am not sure how you plan on interlocking those breakers. I guess you can install something called a Kirk Key system which requires you to turn something off to release a key which will then allow you to turn something else on. That is a pretty common design found in Medium Voltage switch-gear equipment.

Comment

• neweclipse
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

If you're starting w/ that 2-slot box you have the mechnical interlock linkage will need to "teeter-todder" in the middle so when one brkr. is up then other 'has' to be down.

Now with DIN rail mounted brkrs instead, one brkr can be installed up normal while the other is reversed up side down and a interlocking plate slides on captive screw posts so then in either direction the other brkr is forced to off.

Goggle is your friend: "breaker interlock kit"

Last edited by neweclipse; 06-22-2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• joerossjr
        • May 2016

Originally posted by neweclipse
        If you're starting w/ that 2-slot box you have the mechnical interlock linkage will need to "teeter-todder" in the middle so when one brkr. is up then other 'has' to be down.

Now with DIN rail mounted brkrs instead, one brkr can be installed up normal while the other is reversed up side down and a interlocking plate slides on captive screw posts so then in either direction the other brkr is forced to off.

Goggle is your friend: "breaker interlock kit"
        I did search for circuit breaker interlocks and all I find are generator interlocks for grid-tied uses. I searched google before asking for help, same as I do every single day on the internet. I appreciate your help though, thanks.

Comment

• joerossjr
          • May 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
          I am not sure how you plan on interlocking those breakers. I guess you can install something called a Kirk Key system which requires you to turn something off to release a key which will then allow you to turn something else on. That is a pretty common design found in Medium Voltage switch-gear equipment.
          Really, just having a large metal tab over the Battery breaker that extends over to the panel breaker might suffice.... As long as when I go to turn the batteries off, it'll force the panels off too. Seems simple enough. The tabs are all but literally touching anyway. I can't be the only person to have seen the need for this and figured out how to accomplish it with a 10 cent piece of metal. This is quite strange.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by joerossjr

Really, just having a large metal tab over the Battery breaker that extends over to the panel breaker might suffice.... As long as when I go to turn the batteries off, it'll force the panels off too. Seems simple enough. The tabs are all but literally touching anyway. I can't be the only person to have seen the need for this and figured out how to accomplish it with a 10 cent piece of metal. This is quite strange.
            If you have a very good plan then you don't need any mechanical interlocks to keep both systems from being on at the same time. It just takes discipline to turn one thing off before turning the other on.

The question depends on the local codes that might require you to go above a human interface which requires a mechanical interlock and what they feel is something that can't be easily defeated.

Circuit breaker manufacturers have been making devices that reduce the chance of turning a breaker on or off for a long time. Using the right device that matches up to a specific CB is the first step. The next is to have a rigid action plan that is followed every time it is implemented. Safety first.

Comment

Working...