Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbgarrett911
    • May 2017

EPsolar\EPever window xp compatibility

I recently installed my first solar charge system. It is a EPsolar/EPever tracer 3210A, 165 watt panel, with 2 x 122 Ah 12V batteries.

The system is working. The controller can supply statistical operational data.

I'm not geeking out and wasting money on solar trinkets that aren't needed to do the job. The system works fine without seeing the info available from the controller, but if I can get at it without wasting money I would like to see the data.

I have a XP laptop that's not upgradable but works fine for most tasks. I'd like to use it for this one as the charging system is install in a truck camper.

I installed EPsolar's Solar Monitor software on my Windows 10 desk top, an android device, and the laptop. The android version is only a minimum subset of the info available

The laptop doesn't work correctly and produces a .NET error.

Error message is "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application","Selected collating sequence not supported by the operating system".

EPsolar includes a .NET update on their download page, it just doesn't correct the issue I'm seeing on this machine.

Just hoping someone might have already fought the battle.

I asked EPsolar if their Solar Monitor software would run on an XP machine. They came back with a yes.

One individual on a youtube video said he didn't think it will work on an XP machine.

Anyone been able to get it going using XP???

Thanks.
  • Wrybread
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2017

I've got the 4210a, and have definitely found their Windows program to be a bit klunky. Works great once it starts working though. I've never used it on XP, but I'd wager you're on the right track with dotnet, and/or MS Visual Studio Redistrubtable (there's a bunch of those, one for each year).

Let me know if you can't get it and I'll bring an old XP laptop to my controller and see if I can get it working.

On a sidenote, I hope they expand the program a bit, since there's a lot more data stored in that controller than it's displaying. I made a program for Raspberry Pi to access it, but there's no reason it couldn't be shown in their Solar Monitor program or, ideally, via a bluetooth dongle like Victron sells for their charge controllers, so it can be accessed via mobile. Here's the data that the Tracer charge controller is storing by the way:

http://www.solar-elektro.cz/data/dok...s_protocol.pdf

Comment

• jbgarrett911
      • May 2017

Thanks for the info. Still trying to figure it out with XP. I've asked the question on several forums with no or unusable responses. I though there would be more EPsolar users that would respond as there are a lot of you tube videos on them. I haven't found much on EPsolar except for you tube. Your post is really good info. Thanks again.

Comment

• Wrybread
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2017

Might just be that not a lot of people are still using XP.

I should be at my RV this weekend, I'll try to remember to bring an old XP laptop.

Comment

Working...