Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

Same here, no apologies, no worries. Fact is I began to use the comic sans font also but opted not to because of my explanation why it wasn't directed at you, didn't want the font there.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• reed cundiff
      • Nov 2013

I have led a sheltered life. I knew nothing about comic sans font. A friend of mine from Farnbrough once started presenting a paper at a NATO panel we were both on using English units. The Brits, Canadians, and US thought it funny. The rest of the audience was quite confused.

Comment

• max2k
        • May 2015

Originally posted by reed cundiff
        Sorry J.P.M and little harbor - Just trying to be funny. Nothing like doing the conversion of CGS to MKS while an undergraduate. As you are aware, CGS is pretty only used for sub-atomic world. We used only SI for our work at Army Research Labs (White Sands Missile Range) where I was a senior physicist. In reality, I do prefer Watt-hours for battery capacity since Amp-hours is dependent upon actual voltage of the battery suite. I have seen a number of posts that think that Amp-hours at 6 V is the same as Amp-hours at 12 V.
        Wh and Ah are 2 different parameters: Wh is measure of energy while Ah is measure of charge (Coulombs) stored in a battery. Yes, it can be perfectly correct statement that 6V battery has the same Ah as 12V (or any other voltage for that matter). These parameters are related in a simple way: Ewh = Cah x Uv where Uv is the voltage of the battery. When batteries of the same voltage are compared ppl often take shortcut and start using Ah as measure of energy stored simply because Uv is the same between them and Ah is printed on the battery. Then someone brings different voltage in the mix and everyone gets confused. I think you know all that and was just surprised with 6V / 12V statement.

Comment

• reed cundiff
          • Nov 2013

Max2k - I am speaking of folks who think that a 6 volt battery of 100 amp-hours has the same storage as a 12 volt battery of 100 amp-hours. I have read enough posts from folks that believe this.
          Would have only used term of joules in previous life as a physicist.
          Last edited by reed cundiff; 08-27-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Working...