Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice (at the minimum) on small off grid setup please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice (at the minimum) on small off grid setup please!

Going to be running a fan for composting toilet and a chest freezer modified to be used as a fridge.

My power needs are

for the toilet fan is 12 volt .06 kwh/day

Freezer is 115v 1.7 amp will run for 6-8 hrs a day when were there and opening it, but it won't be opened at all for weeks at a time and expecting much less consumption when not opened for weeks.

I've realized this is well above my knowledge even tho it's pretty simple I assume, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Want to leave these running all the time and need help with what I need, I don't trust the solar calculators or myself really, so I came to the experts. Thanks in advance
    ​​​​​​

Here is what you need.

Panel Wattage = 800 Watts = $1600
    30 MPPT Controller = $300
    24 volt 450 AH Battery = 600 pounds @ $2000 every 4 years.
    Misc Materials and Hardware $700

Total Project cost = $4200 to $4600

There you go, time to go shopping, or just pay the POCO $8/month.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

consider replacing the 110v AC refrigerator with a quality 24v DC chest style refrigeration unit. eliminating the inverter makes a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan5 View Post
        consider replacing the 110v AC refrigerator with a quality 24v DC chest style refrigeration unit. eliminating the inverter makes a big difference.
        You forgot to tell him how much those units are. Check out SunFrost and bankrupted Sundancer.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Yes they are pricey, but totally worth it compared to designing a larger system around an inverter.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan5 View Post
            Yes they are pricey, but totally worth it compared to designing a larger system around an inverter.
            And if you need something larger than the 15cf DC models, you really only have the 120VAC Energy star models to look at. They approach the efficenicy of the DC fridges, and you only have the inverter losses to add.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
            X