Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steveeboy
    • Apr 2017

Questionable solar installation on motorhome

I bought a motorhome and it came with an 80w panel and 10amp PWM dual charge controller (2 x 75ah leisure batteries and vehicle battery).
    I asked the dealer to install another 120w panel and they changed the 10amp controller for a 20Amp dual plus display, all good. We later decided that because we would be relying on solar more than mains EHU, we would increase the array to 300w so added another 100w, a mobile service guy who worked a lot for the dealer fitted this 100w panel. This is were I question what he did. So we now have 300w of mixed wattage solar panels on the roof and the same 20Amp plus display set up. The mobile service guy connected the 100w panel to the cables at the back of the 80w panel (he just cut the plastic back on the cables and used insulation tape to finish the joins. I asked if the 20Amp controller was OK for 300w of panels, he said yes and connected the cables to the controller.

We have been travelling in Spain and France over winter and the Charge Controller failed, the batteries were receiving up to 17 volts for a short time until I removed all the cables from the controller. Was he correct in connecting the 100w panel to the 80w panel and the mothed of connecting. Should he have increased the charge controller to. 30Amp?
  • Wy_White_Wolf
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

Being a PWM controller it doesn't convert extra voltage to amperage so add up the IMP rating for all the panels. If it's under 20 amps that's ok. Most 12v panels have a VMP of 17 to 18 volts so the total amperage would be about 17.6 to 16.7 amps.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

If all 3 panels (80w, 100w & 120w) were wired in parallel to a PWM controller you probably did not exceed 20Amps.

I can't say much about the way the 3rd panels was wired without seeing what the tech did but I will say that unless there was a big difference between the Vmp of those 3 panels being wired in parallel should have worked.

It is possible that the CC was just not that very good and had an early death.

Comment

• Steveeboy
        • Apr 2017

Thank SunEagle, you may be correct in that the CC just failed, IMP total is about 17.00.

Comment

• Steveeboy
          • Apr 2017

Thanks WWW, the total IMP is about 17.00 so I guess the CC may have just failed.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Steveeboy
            Thank SunEagle, you may be correct in that the CC just failed, IMP total is about 17.00.
            If you add up the Imp value of each of the 3 panels the total should come close to that 17 amps.

Comment

Working...