No announcement yet.

Good adivce is hard to find.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"cognitive dissonance" is that frustrating pain you are feeling. It is necessary to advance to the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by 44North View Post
      There you go again. You guys are suckers for punishment. Grow a pair of balls? This forum is unreal. The only response to that I have is thanks for the real advice on the setup and next time you serve your country overseas twice we can then compare ball size. Until then probably best you stick to what you know. Sensitivity was never the issue. It was respect. You ****ing bum.
      Served 12 years USN Silent Service and served in the Gulf War. See ya later Snow Flake.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
        Isaac Asimov
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Poor quality and improperly installed solar and inverter cables can cause problems in the function and safety of a battery based system. You can purchase preassembled cables or have them made to order, but you can also build them yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
            Isaac Asimov
            The ignorance has been, and will be with us, always. But on a national level it looks, to me anyway, as if its pernicious ways have reached new levels, and the strain of anti-intellectualism has grown like the interstate highway system. Some would ascribe it to social entropy and its consequences. I watch my country for the last 10 yrs. or so and I get the same feeling I have when thinking of and watching a loved one dying of Alzheimer's.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

The ignorance has been, and will be with us, always. But on a national level it looks, to me anyway, as if its pernicious ways have reached new levels, and the strain of anti-intellectualism has grown like the interstate highway system. Some would ascribe it to social entropy and its consequences. I watch my country for the last 10 yrs. or so and I get the same feeling I have when thinking of and watching a loved one dying of Alzheimer's.
              Well this may seem like a joke, but the irony is it is true. There are schools opening up around the USA, mostly on the West Coast, and East Coast blue states called Adulting Schools. There are a few forms and names for them. Check it out. So what is an Adulting School you ask? It is a school for Millennials and Generation Z snowflakes to teach them how to be adults and take care of themselves. Things like not sucking your thumb in public. How to interact with people face to face, how to balance a checkbook, prepare home budget, how to spell and construct a sentence, open a checking account, not be offended by different opinions, critical thinking skills, how to act in a job interview, untangle political correctness, and that money is not free or plastic.

Yeah sounds like a joke, but very real and scary. There was once a time when public schools taught those subjects and prepared kids for what the real world is like. That is what happens when you let the Feds and Libs run your schools. Those Federal Dollars come with strings attached, Snow Flakes with no critical thinking skills and heads filled with PC BS that life has to be fair.
              Last edited by Sunking; 03-29-2017, 04:57 PM.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

Well this may seem like a joke, but the irony is it is true. There are schools opening up around the USA, mostly on the West Coast, and East Coast blue states called Adulting Schools. There are a few forms and names for them. Check it out. So what is an Adulting School you ask? It is a school for Millennials and Generation Z snowflakes to teach them how to be adults and take care of themselves. Things like not sucking your thumb in public. How to interact with people face to face, how to balance a checkbook, prepare home budget, how to spell and construct a sentence, open a checking account, not be offended by different opinions, critical thinking skills, how to act in a job interview, untangle political correctness, and that money is not free or plastic.

Yeah sounds like a joke, but very real and scary. There was once a time when public schools taught those subjects and prepared kids for what the real world is like. That is what happens when you let the Feds and Libs run your schools. Those Federal Dollars come with strings attached, Snow Flakes with no critical thinking skills and heads filled with PC BS that life has to be fair.
                Since this thread's probably shot anyway:

I read the piece you posted in a similar vein last week and wasn't surprised. More band-aids on the hemorrhaging. That things such as this are probably viewed as good things, and progress by many may be some indication of how much and how far things have gone in the toilet. Sadder yet, to me anyway, is that it's probably more of too little, too late.

Glad I never had kids. I'd probably have been in jail long ago for what seems to have become popularly viewed as child abuse.

Back on topic for me.

Comment

That 3000 Watt Fire Starter
                  LOL

Your 105 AH battery can only handle up to a 400 watt Inverter.
                  Sun, can you include the math here? I want to make sure I understand and calculate correctly in the future.

Also, can you change the thread title to "Good advice is hard to ACCEPT"??

EDIT: "Good adivce (sic) is hard to ACCEPT"??
                  Last edited by joerossjr; 04-04-2017, 08:49 AM. Reason: To show OP he needs to learn to ADULT.. start by spellchecking. hehe

Comment

Originally posted by joerossjr View Post
                    LOL

Sun, can you include the math here? I want to make sure I understand and calculate correctly in the future.

Basic math. A 105Ah 12volt battery can delivery a maximum of 1260watt hours. (105ah x 12v = 1260wh).

With a 400 watt inverter you can use up half of those 1260 wh in 1.5 hours. With a larger inverter you can suck that battery dry in less than an hour. So it is best to keep the size of the inverter wattage with respect to the battery system Watthour availability.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Basic math. A 105Ah 12volt battery can delivery a maximum of 1260watt hours. (105ah x 12v = 1260wh).

With a 400 watt inverter you can use up half of those 1260 wh in 1.5 hours. With a larger inverter you can suck that battery dry in less than an hour. So it is best to keep the size of the inverter wattage with respect to the battery system Watthour availability.
                      Ok, so just based on worse case usage and not draining your battery past the 50% SOC. Got it. Thanks! I thought it was a current discharge rate or something. Can you refresh me on the "do not exceed" rate for discharge? I know you need to stay around C/10 for charging.

Comment

Ok, so just based on worse case usage and not draining your battery past the 50% SOC. Got it. Thanks! I thought it was a current discharge rate or something. Can you refresh me on the "do not exceed" rate for discharge? I know you need to stay around C/10 for charging.
                        Each battery has a specific charge and discharge rate. Usually it is smart not to go faster than say C/8 for an FLA type battery but some of the AGM's can charge/discharge faster at a C/6 rate.

Most FLA batteries show the longest life and highest # of cycles if you do not discharge more than 20% - 25%. Going to a 50% SOC will shorten the lifespan.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                          Each battery has a specific charge and discharge rate.
                          Cool. Thanks!

Comment

LOL

The issue is your battery is 105 AH. At best it can only deliver a C/6 Discharge current where C = Battery Amp Hour Capacity and 6 is Hours. Go more than C/6 and the voltage collapses and your Inverter trips off line from Low voltage. So a 105 AH battery is 105 AH / 6 Hours = 17.5 amps. At 17.5 amps x 12 volts = 210 watts . You have two batteries in parallel or 210 AH at 12 volts. Your battery can only support a 400 watt Inverter.

To support a 3000 watt Inverter requires 300 amps of current. That takes a wire the size of your wrist and a battery that weighs 1300 pounds. That would be a 12 volt 1800 AH battery. There is no such thing as a 12 volt 1800 AH battery. At 3000 watts screams for 48 volt battery.

A 3000 watt 12 volt Inverter is a Time Bomb.

FLA batteries need to be charged at no less than C/12 and no higher than C/8. Max discharge is C/6 for a deed cycle battery. Some Hybrids particularly AGM can discharge at C/2 and those made for UPS @ 4C or 15 minutes.

C =Battery Amp Hour Capacity
                            X = Hours, like 4, 6, 8 etc...

Really simple 5th grade math

Amp Hours = Amps x Hours
                            Amps = Amp Hours / Hours
                            Hours = Amp Hours / Amps

So when you see C/20 and have a 100 AH battery it means 100 AH / 5 H = 20 Hours. Put another way a 100 amp hour battery can supply 20 amps for 5 hours because AH = A x H. 5th grade math.
                            Last edited by Sunking; 04-04-2017, 06:27 PM.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                            X