Shed and yard flood lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laspher View Post
    Ok, Question time. When it comes to 12v systems, is a connection to earth ground required? I've made a mockup of what I am currently planning for my wiring in this shed. As always, advice is welcome. wiring.png
    There is no requirement for Grounded System in a 12 volt system. If you float a system means you have some additional extra cost involved in order to provide Over Current Protection. Chassis and exposed conductive surfaces are required to be Bonded. Do not get Grounded and Bonded throw you off. Ground does not necessarily exclusively meant dirrt. Think planes trains and boats.

The whole purpose of a Grounded System is a means and planned path to operate fuses. Look at the two pictures below. Both are GROUNDED SYSTEMS used in an RV. Note the GREEN GROUND. What makes a System Grounded, is one of the Circuit Conductors is Grounded aka Bonded to serve in place as Earth. In this case the Battery Negative Term Post is Bonded to the chassis which serves in place of Earth. So do not let GROUND trip you up.

MSEE, PE

Comment

generally, grounding is part of the safety / over-current system. The AC inverter may have a ground connection on it, that needs to be connected to ground. Local code may require it, and it's desirable for static / lightning protection.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        generally, grounding is part of the safety / over-current system. The AC inverter may have a ground connection on it, that needs to be connected to ground. Local code may require it, and it's desirable for static / lightning protection.
        Thanks for that tidbit.. no inverter here.

Sunking Thank you for that explanation. but 2 pictures below? I don't see any.

Comment

I think this is what you are looking for?

Or it might have been this simplified drawing.

Point to take away is a Grounded System take a fuse on the Hot Ungrounded circuit conductor. Floating requires fuses on both Polarities. Without an Inverter, you do not need the Green DC EGC wires.
          Last edited by Sunking; 07-08-2017, 04:49 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

ok, so for what I am doing, simple float with 2 fuses. Easily done as I still need to pick up the inline fuses for battery to distribution points.

Comment

Originally posted by Laspher View Post
              ok, so for what I am doing, simple float with 2 fuses. Easily done as I still need to pick up the inline fuses for battery to distribution points.
              No Sir, 4 fuses. You need one pair going to the Charge Controller, and another pair to the load. Consider these Dual Battery Fuse Blocks from Blue Sea. You would need two dual Battery Fuse Blocks, and 4 fuses. 1 pair of fuses sized for the Controller, and another pair for the Load. Use MRB Fuses like you see below on the Dual Fuse Block. They install directly on the Battery Term Post.

You do not need nor are they required any fuses between the panels and controller. The battery is the only power source that can burn something up.
              Last edited by Sunking; 07-09-2017, 01:39 AM.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

fuses to load are covered, and I have room to add a larger fuse from load to battery. I just needed to get the 2 fuses for controller to battery.

Comment

Working...
                X