Aquion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquion?

Aloha, Just found out about Aquion filing for bankruptcy. My installer just replaced my 1st Gen Ahi's, which I saw for the first time in 2 years, with 24 stacks of Aspens and two new inverters since my system went haywire. Have to say very impressed with the new batteries. Had a week of terrible weather. Batteries were getting up to 50% SOC. Ran them down to 12%SOC one night without any low voltage faults. Ahi's were giving faults and cutting out at 35% SOC. The Aspens at 12% SOC were showing 48.6V. Inverter cutoff set at 40V. Maybe could run them to 0?

Guest house has been light on guests and this morning were at 90% SOC. Full house and were down to 67% SOC. A happy camper till system caused $12,000 worth of damage, but now a happier camper with new appliances and batteries. Will have to wait and see how the Aspen's hold up.

Aloha
    AlmostOffGridHawaiian

I know what Aquions were, but what are Aspens ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

It looks like the Aspen battery is made by Aquion. Although I wonder who will be supporting their claimed 5 year warranty.

Keep us posted on how the Aspen perform and provide us with any details on who will be supporting them. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by OffGridHawaiian View Post
        My installer just replaced my 1st Gen Ahi's, which I saw for the first time in 2 years, with 24 stacks of Aspens and two new inverters since my system went haywire. Have to say very impressed with the new batteries.
        Exactly how is that Impressive? I must have missed something. 2 years and you had to replace everything. All I can say if the Aspen replacements (Never heard of them) AHi's in a new label, two years from now you will be replacing them. You gotta be paying $5 or more per Kwh just in batteries.

Warned you 2 years ago Aquion were a POS. In 5 years they had 7 revisions. Huge Red Flag.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks for the warning Sunking. 2 new inverters, $12,000 worth of new appliances and 24 stacks of new POS batteries all for no extra $$$. Sorry I didn't listen
          AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

Do note that they are chapter 11 and are trying to sell off the concept. On rare occasions these types of bankruptcies are used to wipe out the initial debt and if there is a viable product somewhere under all the hype this tech could come crawling out of the grave. In some cases the original investors have through financial tricks cashed out already and will sign up for second go around. Highly unlikely but it has happened as my former employer, Northern Power, pulled it off.

Comment

Aloha,
              Here's how the system is doing as of yesterday. 32317.jpg Anything unusual?

Aloha
              AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

Hard to tell. I presume that chart is the charging data which looks like you hit an SOC of 100% just before NOON.

Comment

Working...
                X