Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • solaar
    • Nov 2016

Panel has voltage and current, but wont charge

I have a 100W flexible panel hooked up to a victron charge controler which wont charge. Another 120W panel I have works just fine in the same setup. Multimeter shows 18+ Volts and around 5A of short circuit current at the panel and also after the extension cable attaching it to the charge controler. I have tried a different charge controller and it wont work there either.

It is doing my head in, how can it not be working when there is plenty of voltage and current?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

If the controller thinks the battery is fully charged, it won't do any charging. And be sure you power up the controller in the proper sequence, boot from the battery and then apply solar PV. Shutdown the opposite Remove PV solar power, and then disconnect from battery, The controller "brains" draws power from the battery terminals, not the Solar PV
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• solaar
      • Nov 2016

I always use the propper connection sequence and the controller will charge on one panel but not the other, so I don't think it is misinterpreting the battery charge.

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

A faulty solar panel can give open circuit voltage OR short circuit amperage by themselves. Open circuit voltage or short circuit amperage by themselves are not power as it takes both to give you usable power. You need to test this panel under load. Take a 12 volt automotive light bulb and put it inline when you do your short circuit amperage test. In full sun, if your panel works you should get a brightly lit bulb
        Last edited by littleharbor; 02-08-2017, 07:52 AM.
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

I am thinking there is a wiring issue on the output of that flexible panel or it does not produce the proper voltage to get the victron CC to start working.

Have you tested that panel on something that works or have you performed the test that littleharbor suggests?

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

A dead battery looks just fine to the controller. Disconnect the battery, measure the voltage, then put a load on the battery and measure the voltage again. If the voltage crashed, you have a boat anchor.
            Last edited by Sunking; 02-08-2017, 04:57 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• PNjunction
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2012

I'm with SunEagle - use your multimeter to check the *polarity* as well.

Many products in the 12v arena wire up their cabling and connectors differently from one another, so you have to check with a multimeter for polarity if you swap different manufacturers cables.

Ex: Harbor Freight / Sunforce / Coleman cables can differ from other products producing a reverse-polarity problem, especially if the wiring going to the typical push-on SAE connectors are used and not checked. In some cases, the wiring directly from the panel itself can be wired wrong, but the wrong polarity wiring fixes it!

This leads to a lot of hair-pulling and cable swapping (or worse) if you don't verify the polarity first.

Comment

• ILFE
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by solaar
                I have a 100W flexible panel hooked up to a victron charge controler which wont charge. Another 120W panel I have works just fine in the same setup.
                Sounds like, to me, you just have a bad panel. Could be as simple as that.
                Paul

Comment

• solaar
                  • Nov 2016

Thanks everyone. I am on a road trip at the moment, so resources are a bit limited and it is monsoon season so sun is scarce. I haven't tried testing with a load yet - good to know - but today I measured again and the flexi panel was only putting out 9V while the rigid one was putting out 20V in the same light. It seems like the thing is cactus and maybe my multimeter is crap too. The panel has worked fine for months, so polarity was not an issue. I tried it on an another old charge controller I took with me - just some quick dodgied up test wiring but nothing there either - in good sunlight too. My battery is fine - only months old.

The flexi was glued to my trailer where I was going to do the bulk of my charging, so I have wound up having to remove it and mount the rigid panel in place. A job I really did not want to be doing on a road trip! I will test it properly when I get home I think, but it may be a warranty job.

Comment

• Switchback
                    • Jan 2016

I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I had a similar problem on one of my panels last year. Tested fine without load. Once the load was put on it I got nothing. The problem with mine was a bad solder connection in the panel. There was a good enough connection to test voc/isc but the connection wouldn't carry a load.

12v bulb is a good test. You could also wire the panel direct to the battery and then use your multimeter to see how many amps your charging, if any. Direct wiring to a battery would eliminate any potential controller/wiring/connection issues

Comment

Working...