12v LED Spotlights in van.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v LED Spotlights in van.

I'm in the process of converting my van into a camper, my next step is the installation of interior roof panels and therefore, lighting.
    Im using LED G4 9SMD spotlights in series, maintaining the same current for all spotlights but decreasing the circuit voltage. these are the Leds:
    LEDs.jpg
    I have three of these in series, powered by my 12v leisure battery, I know how to choose resistors for leds but everything i find online refers to these kind of leds:
    small led.jpg
    my question is, do the types of LEDs I'm using require a resistor?
    I ask this because the following equation: V=IxR requires me to know the maximum continuous current rating of the LED I'm using, which is not indicated anywhere. all i know is it's 10-30v.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
    Last edited by AshleyDC; 01-17-2017, 03:30 PM.

Most of the RV, Van or automobile internal lighting have direct replacements using LED type lamps.

I used 12 volt LED with bayonet bases in my RV which replaced all of the small incandescent. They were not cheap but they work great.

Comment

No. Those G4's are always configured for 12 volts (and usually are not polarity dependent either). It should be safe to connect them directly to 12VDC. Are you sure you are installing them in series? That makes no sense if your supply is 12VDC. You should be using parallel wiring so each receives 12 volts. If the LED says it can run on 10-30V then it contains and internal LED driver so you don't worry about trying to regualte the current. It will regulate internally as long as you stay within 10-30V.

If you post a link or the full LED product specs it would help. I'm making assumptions based upon G4 LEDs assemblies I have used on my own projects.
      Dave W. Gilbert AZ
      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Just for general interest. My camp is 12V and I didn't like the selection of 12V LED lights. I bought some flush mount ceiling LED 120V units that a utility company was paying a large chunk of. Ended up being about $9 back when these were still expensive. They were rated at 18W and had an inverter inside to drive the LED. The led module itself was about 41V. Tore that out and installed a $1 ebay boost converter inside putting out 35V. That gave me about 3W to the LED. More than bright enough for the bathroom and nice diverse light from plastic. Not a fan of those exposed LED types that beam right at you.

Comment

Working...
        X