Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dish
    • Dec 2016

100w Panel to maintain batteries?

I'm so glad I found this forum. I've been reading a lot of posts and it's really helped me get a better grasp on solar. Thanks!

I'm in the planning stage of my van build. When I'm out in the van I plan on driving a good deal, probably around 4 hours a day. So I expect the bulk of the charging to be handled by the alternator with a Sure isolator to protect both battery banks. Then when I'm back home the van will sit between trips. I'll go out in the van for a week or two. Then be back home for three to four weeks, not using the van.

The van is an old Ford Diesel (IDI 6.9). It currently has two new starting batteries. I'll add my house battery bank, yet TBD (I'm working on figuring out my expected power usage). Even when I'm home I don't have realistic access to an AC hookup to the van. I'm thinking I'd like to throw on a 100W panel to maintain both the starter and house battery banks. Additional charging while out on trips is just an added bonus.

I've read in a post here that it is possible to charge both the starter and house battery with solar but the wiring can get a bit complicated. I'm looking for some guidance on what would be needed to do what I want. I'm also open to alternate solutions to keep both my starter and house batteries maintained while not in use without and AC connection. Would driving the van to work (20 min each way) once or twice a week be enough to keep all batteries happy and healthy? I was also looking at a 5W maintainer kit for my starter battery but since I'm adding a house battery soon I'd want to keep that maintained as well when the van's not in use.

Am I nuts or can I get some help on flushing out the details. (Ha, I've already ditched the idea of running an air conditioner off battery, even before finding this forum)
  • Isaac-1
    • Aug 2016

I suspect a 100 watt panel is going to be overkill for this application unless you park it in a very shaded area.

Comment

• Dish
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Isaac-1
      I suspect a 100 watt panel is going to be overkill for this application unless you park it in a very shaded area.
      Yeah, I know it would be overkill. I like the idea of getting some extra juice too while on trips. I also like the idea of having it permanently installed instead of messing around with trickle charge kits. I was looking at them again. It looked like some people were saying that you'd want a solar trickle charger on each starter battery if you had two, which I do. I guess I could mount and permanently install the solar trickle chargers (5-10 Watts each). I'd have at least 2 if not 3 (one on the house battery and one if not two on the starter batteries). If I do that I think I'm getting into the price range of a single 100 Watt panel setup.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

You are over thinking this. Nothing special has to be done. Just a 10 watt panel connected to both batteries and your done. You do not even need a controller, just a diode to prevent back feeding the panel at night or cloudy days. . A 10 watt panel is just going to overcome self discharge. That is all you need.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Dish
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Sunking
          You are over thinking this. Nothing special has to be done. Just a 10 watt panel connected to both batteries and your done. You do not even need a controller, just a diode to prevent back feeding the panel at night or cloudy days. . A 10 watt panel is just going to overcome self discharge. That is all you need.
          Would this be in reference to the 2 starter batteries? Or would it include the house battery too?

The panel I'm looking at has a diode built in so that's good. If I hooked the panel to all batteries. Would I need diodes to prevent current flowing between the batteries? For example, the house battery is low due to usage over night and the starters have a full charge from not being used. Don't I need to prevent the starters from charging the house? Or would you recommend 2 separate solar trickle chargers, one for the starters and the other for the house?

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Dish

Would this be in reference to the 2 starter batteries? Or would it include the house battery too?
            All the above.

Originally posted by Dish
            The panel I'm looking at has a diode built in so that's good. If I hooked the panel to all batteries.
            No those are bypass diodes, not BLOCKING.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...