Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m1ckDELTA
    • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Logan5
    replace the tube amps with solid state 12 volt native equipment.
    For a given wattage tube amps offer more output and battery powered guitar amps aren't of a quality that is acceptable, although, I wish they were.

Last edited by m1ckDELTA; 09-08-2016, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• m1ckDELTA
      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by sdold
      The "15 Watts per amp" was the output power, it looks like his loads are around 120 watts without adding the PA (2 x 50W amps plus some smaller loads).

The PA speaker 1000w each and are actually self powered so I shouldn't have included them in the equation, sorry. I've editing the post, removing the PA from the list to avoid confusion.
      Last edited by m1ckDELTA; 09-08-2016, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by m1ckDELTA
        ...The PA speaker 1000w each and are actually self powered so I shouldn't have included them in the equation, sorry. I've editing the post, removing the PA from the list to avoid confusion.
        you mean they have a battery and transistor amp in them ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• m1ckDELTA
          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250

you mean they have a battery and transistor amp in them ?

Are you asking if they are solid state?

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

I'm asking you to define Self Powered 1Kw Speaker.
            Some use battery power to bias an electromagnet (instead of a permanent magnet for the voice coil)
            Some describe a internal battery that powers an internal solid state (transistor) amplifier. I doubt there are any battery/tube 1Kw speaker/amps,
            Some just throw words out to impress and it's only got a large speaker that can handle 1Kw of audio.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• m1ckDELTA
              • Sep 2016

[QUOTE=Mike90250;n329001Some use battery power to bias an electromagnet (instead of a permanent magnet for the voice coil)
              Some describe a internal battery that powers an internal solid state (transistor) amplifier. I doubt there are any battery/tube 1Kw speaker/amps,[/QUOTE]

This is the PA speaker. It's an inexpensive "mobile DJ" type speaker that is all I'll need for the theremin and my voice plus a little bit of the amps for balance. The specs state up to 3 hours performance time so I'm imagining 2 hours in the real world. I'll never do a performance over two hours; too long for limited attention spans.

I've test the battery pack without the theremin, it's pedalboard or the main pedalboard's controller for about 90 minutes and it had between 12-13 volts reading on the meter IIRC; it's been a couple of months. It was fully recharged after the initial test and at the moment, after two months of storage, it's reading just above 14V FWIW.

Comment

• m1ckDELTA
                • Sep 2016

Here's the PA speaker in question, it's all I'll need for the theremin, a dynamic mic for my voice, and two dynamic mics for a little bit of the amps to keep things balanced:

Comment

• m1ckDELTA
                  • Sep 2016

Here are the specs for the PA speaker:

pyleaudio(dot)com/sku/PPHP152BMU

Again, it won't be running off the battery pack.

In the interest of full disclosure, now might be a good time for me to say I've worked as a professional in the motion picture industry for 20 years this June and am a member in good standing of IATSE Local 695. I work in the production sound department. You've more than likely heard my work on television or in the cinema. I'm pretty solid regarding the audio equipment choices I'm making. Adding solar to the battery pack is where I was a bit mystified.
                  Last edited by m1ckDELTA; 09-08-2016, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

Adding solar to the battery bank, is like adding a trickle charger - 20 or 100 w, is not going to go far. Any visible effect will need +300w

But I can't believe that you go through the trouble to have tube powered amps for the instruments, and then pipe it through a solid state amp with T.H.D.: 10%

Comment

Working...