Solar Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panels

I have a MPPT e-SMART Solar Charge Controller 12V 24V 48V 40A. what size, and how many panels can I use with this controller?

What battery voltage will you be using ?
    Did it not come with a manual? Most reputable controllers have a web site with a panel calculator on it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

480 watts with a 12V battery bank
      960 watts with a 24V battery bank
      1920 watts with a 48V battery bank

All battery banks should to be in the 350 to 400AH range

Comment

To figure this out, you need to calculate how many voltage from the solar panels first, in order to make sure the reg doesn't get overload and fry itself.

For example, my reg is 50V tolerant, that means whatever 12V, 24V, 36V system it is building up, the input voltage can not exceed 50V, otherwise the reg will be damaged.

Next, you should read the voltage output from the solar panels with an electrical devices like a multimetre, this is to confirm the practical voltage of the panel first of all, very important. It's the way of wiring decide how many voltage the panels put out, to be noted that wiring in series will double the voltage.

Remember the reg will smart read your battery voltage, but give it a reasonable voltage difference to make up. A good reg will bring down 36V from the panels to 24V and charge your batteries, but do not make it more than 20V according to my practical conclusion.

36V solar panels to charge 24V batteries;

20-24V solar panels to charge 12V batteries.

You can never make 12V panels to charge 12V battery, as most people think it would happen.

Comment

Originally posted by gustavpumper View Post
          ...You can never make 12V panels to charge 12V battery, as most people think it would happen.
          This is wrong. A 12V panel has a nominal voltage around 18V and works just fine to charge 12V batteries. I've been doing it for a few years now. Calling the panels "12V" is just nomenclature to describe the setting they're intended for.
          I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

• gustavpumper
            gustavpumper commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct! This is what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

• gb michigan
            gb michigan commented
            Editing a comment
            so my 12 volt 80 amp hour amg battery will be ok to use a solar panel listed as 100 watt 18/12 volt.I use it only for lighting/tv on a very small camper

• SunEagle
            SunEagle commented
            Editing a comment
            @ gb michigan

Unless that TV drains your battery (which is pretty small) a 100 watt 18volt panel may not recharge it back in one day.

Originally posted by ewarnerusa View Post
          This is wrong. A 12V panel has a nominal voltage around 18V and works just fine to charge 12V batteries. I've been doing it for a few years now. Calling the panels "12V" is just nomenclature to describe the setting they're intended for.
          You are correct.

It could be that gustavpumper may trying to explain that a panel that only produces 12 volts can never charge a 12volt battery. As well as a panel that only produces 24 volts will never charge a 24 volt battery.

People get confused when the nomenclature of panels (12volt, 24volt, grid-tie, etc.) are used instead of the actual specifications. That gets them all messed with figuring out how to wire up panels in series or parallel to charge their battery systems.

Comment

Working...
          X