Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hlp
    • Aug 2016

Help with rv solar setup

I have been attempting to research and figure this out but it seems to be a case of the more I know the less I understand. I'd like to add solar to my RV. I'm sure my questions are ridiculous for someone experienced but any guidance would be appreciated.

I was given an 800w solar panel. I also have a 2500w inverter. I realize I need a controller and probably another battery (i have one that holds 120ah I believe.). I'm getting confused about what situation you would need a 24v rather than 12v system. I am assuming that 12v is what I'd need since my inverter works on 12v. Im not sure about the solar panel but it seems with the converter it would work it out? I found a converter on amazon and am wondering if it would work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FDU6SS...=I7IS6U5Z8MN15
    The prices on converters really vary and not sure if one on the cheaper end would be ok. Also do converters stop charging until the battery voltage drops or do I need to also put a switch to stop charging once full?
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Well first off no one makes an 800 watt solar panel so more than likely you you have a number of panels that total 800 watts or you have a single panel rated much less than 800 watts.

Next that charge controller you link is a 60amp PWM which can charge a 12volt or 24volt battery system but it is hard to tell from the advertisement what the maximum dc voltage it is rated.

Most quality charge controllers will charge a battery system until it gets to the desired voltage setting and then drop back to a "float" voltage setting to keep the battery from self discharging. Lower quality CC may not do this which could lead to over charging the battery.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

No such thing as a 800 watt solar panel.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• dax
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Hlp
        I have been attempting to research and figure this out but it seems to be a case of the more I know the less I understand. I'd like to add solar to my RV. I'm sure my questions are ridiculous for someone experienced but any guidance would be appreciated.

I was given an 800w solar panel. I also have a 2500w inverter. I realize I need a controller and probably another battery (i have one that holds 120ah I believe.). I'm getting confused about what situation you would need a 24v rather than 12v system. I am assuming that 12v is what I'd need since my inverter works on 12v. Im not sure about the solar panel but it seems with the converter it would work it out? I found a converter on amazon and am wondering if it would work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FDU6SS...=I7IS6U5Z8MN15
        The prices on converters really vary and not sure if one on the cheaper end would be ok. Also do converters stop charging until the battery voltage drops or do I need to also put a switch to stop charging once full?
        How big and long is your RV, that will make a difference to your setup. If you have one panel, it's probably an 80w panel. For an RV, you shouldn't need 24v and depending on the voltage of your panel, it's wise to use an MPPT solar controller and if your rig is about 8m, you won't have much voltage drop. The best setup is to use 24v panels 12v mppt controller and a good bank of at least 200-400ah AGM batteries to start with, as you will only really have decent access to 50% of the energy the store.

We've installed lots of Rv systems here in Aus, most are lifepo4 powered, use 24v panels and our own mppt solar controllers, but you can get cheap ones from 20amp to 60amp cheap. So if you have a tight budget, I'd be going that way until you work out what your real requirements are and then upgrade your system to your requirements. If you only have an 80w panel and have enough room on your roof, put a couple of 250w panels on it, haven't got a clue what the price of panels is over there. Down here in Aus, you can get 250w 24v mono panels for about $200 and poly panels for a bit less.

The set up on our RV, which is 11m long, is 1000w of 24v, 250w panels, 480ah of lifepo4 and 2 x 40amp lifepo4 solar controllers, which drive a 1500/3000w PSW inverter. We run it on 240v, including A/C, hot water, toaster, fridge and freezer, induction cooking and also our band PA at times. We couldn't do this with our gel batteries, but lifepo4 does it easy.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• Hlp
          • Aug 2016

Thank you for letting me know, Although largish, it is just one panel. Ill have to take a more thorogh look and get back to the drawing board. Are there a few brands that are better quality for cc? i definately want the batteries to last as long as possible.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...