Really new and confused :0) System matching and total understanding help

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dizzymarkus
    • Aug 2016

Simple question lol-- I should be able to charge my bank with a 12v charger right? -- all of a sudden I seem to be having issues-- maybe the extension cord is too long. Trickle charge seems to just shut off after 3 mins or so-- my charger is a schumacher sc11 --- batteries are 2x 6v duralast 240ah wired for 12v

thank you

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by dizzymarkus
      Simple question lol-- I should be able to charge my bank with a 12v charger right? -- all of a sudden I seem to be having issues-- maybe the extension cord is too long. Trickle charge seems to just shut off after 3 mins or so-- my charger is a schumacher sc11 --- batteries are 2x 6v duralast 240ah wired for 12v thank you
      Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery with ? Does the charger give any indication that the battery is sick or full ? Got enough water in the cells ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• dizzymarkus
        • Aug 2016

all cells are full, batteries were 12.3 and I wanted to trickle them until morning as we are leaving then. I thought maybe there was a catch with charging and having the 2 tied together and using amicroprocessor controlled charger-- batteries are brand new and havent shown any signs of being ill-- I am going to guess its the long azz extension cord. I am at home now will check in am

thanks for the response,
        Markus

Comment

• ewarnerusa
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2016

A trickle charge doesn't put out a whole lot of amps, so I wouldn't think the long extension cord would be a problem. Certainly worth checking though. 12.3V is certainly not charged, so the charger shouldn't be shutting down. Are you attaching + charge clamp to + post of battery connected to the trailer and the - charge clamp on the - post of battery connected to ground?
          I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

• dizzymarkus
            • Aug 2016

Yes all clamps are correct for charging-- the charger also checks for that :0(

Comment

• dizzymarkus
              • Aug 2016

sorry for the delay -- we went camping lol

I went back in the am and the charger said 100% and was pulsing (monitor mode) as well as the red bad battery light-- It has to be the 75' of extension cord -- going to try it at work this week and see what gives.

As for usage there was no cell, tv or radio reception so it was very minimal listening to the same album over and over :0(

being able to move the panel to keep it in direct sun was a great feature

Comment

Working...