Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dizzymarkus
    • Aug 2016

Really new and confused :0) System matching and total understanding help

Howdy all and I will apologize in advance for the repeated questions and general noob"ness about asking them. As others I would like to take up some solar power so I can take advantage of the beautiful state parks here in NYS. Most not having power-- I may seem to ramble and sorry my heads full after reading things for the last few days. So here goes:

EQUIPMENT I have on hand:
    Renogy 100 watt solar starter kit
    Wanderer 30a PWM controller
    Duralast DC45 golfcart batteries 6v x2 - 12v 240 ah @ 20a rate (please explain this? -- most are 10 amp and still don't understand that)

Can I simply run a cord from an inverter to the camper 110?-- theres a charger built in the camper (buy camper cord and run to inverter?) Can I leave the 12v camper leads connected to the battery and run the inverter to the camper 110 with out back feeding it?

I am also having a hard time trying to figure out the usage or wattage of my "daily use"-- I have already made the swap to full led lighting and I dont mind running things with propane -- real reasonable here.So I would say a day in the life of camping here would be the fridge(propane), stove(propane), hot water(propane) led lighting(nighttime), radio(few hours lol), tv (few hours 32" led tv)

I dont really need my furnace I dont think, but would like to run it if needed, and I am really unsure how to accomplish this, thats why I asked about the cord at the beginning of my post.

So I need to figure out my useage before we can figure out how long I can sustain on my batteries and if my single panel will recharge them, moving them to follow the sun for max time.

My brain just seems to be swimming at this point and never guessed it would be this involved-- and no Mr Sun im not "**** canning the idea" lol I have a 2013 KZ Soree 26 footer-- and I do realize Ill never runt he air conditioner haha Im sure I forgot something

thanks for any help or input I can get, everyone has to start somewhere,

Markus

• dizzymarkus
    • Aug 2016

noone wants to help the noob hu lol ok-- back to reading

Comment

• Logan5
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2013

The best way to build a solar battery charge system is to not buy anything and spend many weeks to many months studying. You need a basic to intermediate understanding of Solar charge systems and an intermediate to advance understanding of electricity. Not to mention a single 100 watt panel is basically useless, unless you are charging a 35 ah battery or less.

Comment

• Logan5
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2013

f you have a meter find your SOC ASAP, Is grid avail? If so get those batteries on charge ASAP. 100 watts in not even close to charge those batteries. You need a watt meter to determin your power usage. since you are in a small space, I would run a DC micro grid and forgo the inverter all together, Your TV power supply may need to be swapped out with a native DC model and replace your laptop power supply with a 12 volt car travel charger.

Comment

• dizzymarkus
          • Aug 2016

thank you for your response, although I am already beyond that point :0( I came here looking to learn and understand-- appears thats too late--- I started by asking questions-- is that not how you started?-- Its alot to take in at first, some becomes repetitive and burned in lol

thank you,
          Mark

Comment

• Logan5
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2013

beyond what point?

Comment

• Logan5
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2013

What is your battery bank SOC? do you have a multi meter? Do you really need AC power? If you have Propane refrigeration and cooking,

Comment

• dizzymarkus
                • Aug 2016

Logan5-- just meant I already have the equipment listed -- you told me not to buy anything-- I already had before coming here-- why I ended up here lol

Comment

• dizzymarkus
                  • Aug 2016

a meter find your SOC ASAP,--- what does this mean please? The batteries were just bought 1 week ago and were at storage or shelf charge-- they have since been brought to full charge and now on float. The tv -- I bought a samsung 32" led tv that used a 19v connection (like a laptop plug), purchased a 12v dc to 19vdc converter cord-- swapped ends and tv works great on 12v :0) I would like ot buy a battery monitor, however I am sticker shocked yet at how much the ones that tell everything are lol

Comment

• Logan5
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2013

Ok, so you bought junk before you even know what you need. now you need to determine what to keep and what to throw away. first check the health of your batteries. take a resting voltage reading. a single 100 watt panel will need at least 3 more matching panels to get close to the charge power you need for those golf cart batteries. If batteries are already damaged from inadequate solar charging, will need replaced.

Comment

• Logan5
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2013

SOC=state of charge.

Comment

• Logan5
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2013

Kudos on the TV power brick, good choice to power TV and or laptop. only thing I see to fix the situation is get another 300 to 500 watts of solar, also recommended is an MPPT CC

Comment

• Logan5
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2013

you would be much better served with grid tie panels of 225 to 300 watts each. of course then you would need the MPPT controller.

Comment

• dizzymarkus
                            • Aug 2016

they have not been hooked to the panels yet-- they were 11.9 when I got them home -- now resting (on float) 12.8 -- I am not even sure what we will use off the batteries-- part of where I am getting confused-- the furnace doesnt run on 12v and I dont care about the ac myth lol , I really dont use much else electric-- will run hot water, fridge on propane-- I have to be missing something
                            I have already swapped over to full led lighting. Basically I need to figure out my usage and have trouble figuring that out.

I do believe the MPPT over current -- gotta start somewhere :0) --- would you have a link to the panels you are talking about? Are they larger etc? -- I dontming selling current panel and getting correct

thanks for the help-- it goes along way

Markus
                            Last edited by dizzymarkus; 08-07-2016, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Logan5
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2013

furnace 12 volts? please explain? a propane camper furnace should operate the fan from 12 volts and heat generated with propane. if it requires a 110volt fan, replace fan with a 12 volt model
                              What AC myth?

Comment

Working...