X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris_P
    • Jul 2016

Boat solar install question

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the posts on this forum and I'm very impressed with the wealth of information shared.

I recently installed a solar charging system on my boat and I'm struggling with tweaking the setup.

My boat has an an unusual design, my house loads are split into two banks. I've considered combining them but it's frankly not worth the effort so I just live with it.

That said, I have three deep cycle 12v batteries running in parrallel in each bank. A total of 6 house batteries on board (approx 700Ah). My solar charge system consists of three 100w flexible panels and a 30A MPPT charge controller. On a sunny day I typically see 18-20A generated. The solar charge controller is connected to Bank 1 with a Xantrex echo charger connecting to Bank 2. In theory, once bank 1 is charged, the charging resources should go to bank 2. It's works ok, but ideally I'd like to charge both banks at the same time.

Is there a better solution out there? Is there a way of splitting the solar energy after the panels and running 2 MPPT controllers, one for each bank? I've also looked for a dual bank MPPT controller but I haven't found anything. I know Morningstar sells a dual bank PWM but nothing that's MPPT. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  • DanKegel
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

Dumb question: could you just add one more panel, and would that be a simple way to approximate the faster charge you're after?

Comment

• Chris_P
      • Jul 2016

I could add more panels leading to a second charge controller but that requires me running 2 more wires from my bridge to the engine room. That's a full day job that I'd rather avoid if there is an easier way

Comment

Working...