Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raf165
    • Jul 2016

12V system

i'm new to solar power and have a question about what size panel I sholud buy for my 19ft. camper, i have a solar boost 3024il charge controler and 1 maxx 29DC 845 MCA ever start batt. just not sure what size to get.
  • Wy_White_Wolf
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

Solar needs to be sized to our load. All we could do is suggest a panel that would be balanced to the battery but that does not mean it'll supply the power you need or charge the battery,

Your charge controller can handle 40 amps at 12vdc. That would be 480 watts max it can handle. You don't list the amphour rating of the battery. That is what we'd need to size the array a*ppropriately to it. I'll guess it's about 75 AH. Your charge rate should be between C/12 and C/8 with about C/10 being ideal. So that means you need about 7.5 amps (75/10) charging rate. /7.5amps times 12V = 90 watts. So you panel size should be between 75 watts (75/12*12) and 112 watts (75/8*12).

Comment

• raf165
      raf165 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just checked the amps it's 114

• Wy_White_Wolf
      Wy_White_Wolf commented
      Editing a comment
      No it's 114 amphours. So now you can run the numbers just like I did for 75Ah and get the range and ideal array.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

With a 12 volt 114 AH battery using MPPT Controller the panel should be no smaller than 125 watts and no larger than 190 watts. However no one here can tell you if it will work or not. All we can tell you is the panel, controller, and battery are matched to each other. Your mistake is not designing a system to do what it is intended to do. If you are like 99% of the people coming here is grossly undersized and you will destroy the battery. Then when discover what it really takes, will chit can the idea and take your losses.
    Last edited by Sunking; 07-18-2016, 11:33 AM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...