Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • forresto
    • Jul 2016

Volts requried for AGM charge = Solar panel choice + looking for comments

Hi. I read and then asked a noob question and then read more and am about ready to go forward. Have a question and am looking for comments on this setup for a system:

Application:
    1) Kayak, a fat one
    2) FishFinder: 650mA draw, input 10-20vDC
    3) Use: 6-14 hours a day, summer. 30 times a year MAX. I WILL fish in overcast or downpours.
    4) have charging station at night for top up.
    5) Use: sometimes no charging station at night, but I can go easy with the electronics.

System:
    1) 2x 10Ah AGM batteries in parallel
    2) panel: 20W-30W panel. output 12V-18V to be determined, probably poly
    3) controller: el cheapo, PWM, adjustable: can't put amazon link. Mohoo 20A, it is $20 U.S.
    My own question is about charging the AGM. 12V isn't going to cut it right? I am going to have to get a 15-18V panel and eat the loss on the PWM. Correct?

comments?
    thanks.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

yep, you need at least 18V going into the charge controller. But you are getting a lot of gear into the boat.
    Suggestion:
    Use a lithium battery in the boat and a spare on shore charging on a 100-200w solar panel swap batteries daily, much less stuff in the Kayak and more room for fishing gear
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• forresto
      • Jul 2016

Thanks. Price is holding me back on LiFePo4, I would really like one though. When I said fat kayak I meant a Hobie PA 14, it is more like a boat. I have an obscene amount of gear on and in it with room to spare.

Comment

• PNjunction
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2012

Warning from your other two posts - see the integrated 5v usb outputs on the "el cheapo" charge controller? Avoid those, simply due to the fact that if you blow those out, you may take the controller logic out as well, leaving you high and dry. Attach your own 12v / 5v mobile usb adapters directly to the battery - like Anker units. If those blow, your controller will still work.

Get real - solar isn't cheap and especially if you are on water for work or fun. GENASUN makes a good controller that was designed from exactly your type of environment.

Or just buy el cheapos twice or more / lose tournament etc.

Comment

Working...