Finish On 2 Different Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish On 2 Different Panels

I bought a Renogy 100W flexible panel about 2 years ago. My new 100W panel just arrived today, and the finish on the black cells is completely different. The Renogy is very shiny and the new panel has a dull, matte finish. Is that perhaps the result of newer technology? The seller says there is no protective film that needs to be removed.

Panel Compare 2.jpg

They may look different but the test is to see if they produce the same amount of amps under the same amount of sunlight.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      They may look different but the test is to see if they produce the same amount of amps under the same amount of sunlight.

So, hook each one up, one at a time, and measure with my Clamp Meter?
      No sun today - testing's gonna have to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch5252 View Post

So, hook each one up, one at a time, and measure with my Clamp Meter?
        No sun today - testing's gonna have to wait.
        If you want to compare each then measure one at a time or if you have two meters both at the same time.

Careful not to block the sun with your shadow when you do the measuring.

Comment

I am reading online how to test amps...one says DO NOT - under ANY circumstances - connect meter with panel in the sun...the other site I'm reading says, put your panel in the sun and hook it up...here's the one site I'm reading now:

To test solar panel amperage output, put your solar panel in direct sunlight, set your multi-meter to the "amps" setting and...
          1. touch the multi-meter's (red) positive lead to your solar panel's positive wire.
          2. Then touch, the multi-meter's (black) negative lead to your solar panel's negative wire.

The amp reading on your multi-meter should be close to (or just under) 3.5 amps. 3 amps is about normal since your panel may not be currently getting maximum sunlight. If the amps are much lower there is a problem with your solar panel output. Go back and check all the connections of your solar cells and all your stringers or check for cracks in the solar cells themselves.
          That's all there is to testing solar panels and making sure they work right!

Comment

I don't like to connect an ammeter into a live circuit. Use your clamp on DC ammeter. A simple test, is just short the outputs together
            on each panel (in heavy shade), then prop them both up to decent sun and compare readings on your clamp on meter. Even with
            less that optimum sun, they ought to track reasonably closely. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
              I don't like to connect an ammeter into a live circuit. Use your clamp on DC ammeter. A simple test, is just short the outputs together
              on each panel (in heavy shade), then prop them both up to decent sun and compare readings on your clamp on meter. Even with
              less that optimum sun, they ought to track reasonably closely. Bruce Roe
              LOL - sorry to be such a PITA, but I have no idea how to "short the outputs together"...I can Google it tomorrow... Really - sorry. One day, this will all be old hat to me! (okay, so maybe not).

Comment

LOL - sorry to be such a PITA, but I have no idea how to "short the outputs together"...I can Google it tomorrow... Really - sorry. One day, this will all be old hat to me! (okay, so maybe not).
                That means, a direct connection between 2 points. Take the 2 output connectors on a panel, and plug them together. Bruce Roe

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I will take your word for it that my panel (or me) won't blow up!
                  All my life, I have thought a "short" was a bad thing!
                  But doggoneit, totally overcast again today.

Comment

Just measured both panels in high full sun, with the Clamp Meter. The Renogy panel was 4.40 - 4.45. The new panel was 4.95 - 5.01 (mostly in the high 4.9's.)

Is that good or not so good?

Comment

Just measured both panels in high full sun, with the Clamp Meter. The Renogy panel was 4.40 - 4.45. The new panel was 4.95 - 5.01 (mostly in the high 4.9's.)
                      Reasonable. That suggests a power of around 75-80 watts.

Comment

Well at least the dull finish on the new panel does not look like it limits the production.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Well at least the dull finish on the new panel does not look like it limits the production.

I emailed the seller about the finish. This is his reply:

Our matte finish allows panel to absorb more solar light into cells. We use more expensive PET sheet to achieve it.

Comment

I emailed the seller about the finish. This is his reply:

Our matte finish allows panel to absorb more solar light into cells. We use more expensive PET sheet to achieve it.
                            LOL. Sounds like advertising drivel.

If the panel provides close to it's nameplate wattage then it doesn't really mater what the surface material is made out of as long as it didn't have a higher cost that the older shiny one.

Comment

Working...
                            X