12 volt system - stopped charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt system - stopped charging

Hi there. I have a 12 volt panel connected to a charge controller which I got from eBay just to power a light in the shed and have had the system working fine until a few days ago when it stopped charging and really need advice to track down the issue.
    The panel has the diode in line and like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20w-Solar-...UAAOSwHnFVmR5E
    which is outputting 17 volts but when connecting with to a controller unit with the below features it is not charging.

Automatically manage the working of solar panel and battery in solar system.
    Overloading & short-circuit protection.
    Reverse diacharging & reverse-polarity protection.
    Under-voltage and over-charging protection.
    Protection from lightning strike.
    Prolong the battery life cycle and keep the load work well.
    Easy to set up and operate.
    Suitable for small solar energy system.

Specification:
    Color: Black
    Rated voltage: 12V or 24V
    Rated charging current: 10A
    Rated load current: 10A
    Voltage of stop power supply: *10.8V or 21.6V
    Voltage of resume power supply: *11.8V or 23.6V
    Voltage of stop charging: *14V or 28V
    Working temperature: -20 ~ +60℃
    temperature coefficient of voltage stop charge: -3mV / ℃ / cell
    Item size: 10.2 * 9.5 * 3.8cm / 4 * 3.7 * 1.5in
    Item weight: 132g / 4.7oz
    Package size: 11.5 * 10 * 4cm / 4.5 * 3.9 * 1.6in
    Package weight: 136g / 4.8oz

There is no output to the load +/- studs as a result.
    Do I need to replace the diodes? Is it outputting too high a voltage ?
    Appreciate advice. Thanks Darin

I missed the information on your battery. Also are you first connecting the charge controller to the battery before you connect the panel to the charge controller?

Is your panel rated 20watts like your example or is does it have a different wattage? If it is only 20 watts then it would probably only have a little over 1 amp output. That little amount would not be able to charge a battery bigger than 10Ah back up to 100% in one day.

Comment

you need to get that battery on an AC wall charger ASAP. there is no output on the load circuit of your CC likely because your battery is in a state of discharge that has engaged the LVD= Low voltage disconnect. To protect your battery. you did not mention what Amp hour rating your battery, A 20 watt panel will not charge much more than a 7amp hour battery. you need an AC battery charger and a multimeter, you should also read all the stickys on batteries and off grid use of batteries.
      4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

Working...
      X