X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rixsta
    • Apr 2016

12v setup..any ideas if this setup is all safe and good

Hi
    Was just wondering if anyone could check over my unplanned setup it's for a van conversion we are turning into a camper.

My most important question is where would I put the grounding wire from the controller ? I presume it goes to the van chassis.

4x 155ah powersafe 12v155fs batteries
    Morningstar MPPT 60A controller
    660w of solar panel.
    Last edited by Rixsta; 05-14-2016, 05:57 PM.
  • Rixsta
    • Apr 2016

I can have a 60A 70A or 80A fuse on the battery side.
    Do I need a fuse on the solar side ?
    The panels are rated around 6A and theres 3 of them in series.

Cables will be run about 1 meter from controller to batteries.

Comment

• ewarnerusa
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2016

Put circuit breakers on the solar side for convenience. I even recommend circuit breakers between the controller and batteries. This is because anytime you program the Morningstar controller parameters, you need to reset the system for the new settings to take. This is done by disconnecting the controller from the batteries and then reconnecting. Manually tripping the circuit breaker and then closing it again is an easy and convenient way to perform this reset. Pulling the fuse accomplishes the same thing, but manually tripping and resetting the circuit breaker is easier. With your short wire distance between the controller and batteries, the circuit breaker could replace the fuse. And since you should never have current entering the controller from the panels when it isn't connected to the batteries, you first trip the circuit breaker between the controller and panels so it opens that path. After your controller is back online, close the circuit breaker between the controller and panels and you're up and running again.
      Last edited by ewarnerusa; 05-16-2016, 02:55 PM.
      I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

• Rixsta
        • Apr 2016

Hey.
        Thanks a lot yes the circuit breakers idea is a good one
        Yes I found that one out that the solar needs disconnecting too..

Comment

Working...