Seeking advice on 12v solar system

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

When it's time to replace batteries, use a pair of 6V golf cart batteries in series, it avoids parallel battery strings.
    And I concur with adding more solar.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• steve14
      • May 2016

I may double the panels to max later. I have checked my fridge when running on gas and it does not pull any current. It is a very basic model with no electronic control panel a piezoelectric start for the gas and a manual thermostat control. I also have a gas heater but do not use the circulation fan as the gas heats a oil radiator which is sufficient. I also do not use any inverters as they are very power hungry.

I have now finished installing the Victron 75/15 and the Bluetooth Dongle. I am very happy with this controller it is easy to install and the mobile app with history tracking is great. I can now see live view what current I am pulling and how much power and charge to the batteries I am getting each day.
      I am away soon for 3 nights on a rally with no electric hook up. So this will be a great test to see how much we use in electric and if the panel at the moment is big enough.

Comment

• ewarnerusa
        ewarnerusa commented
        Editing a comment
        If you've checked and there's no draw from the running the fridge then that removes that parasitic load. Old absorption fridges that ran on propane only and used a pilot light do not require a 12V connection at all and thus have no current draw. But having a piezoelectric start suggests to me that it uses 12V power. If it has an LED that lights up to tell you it's on, or has an interior light that comes on when the door is opened, then it requires 12V power for a control board. Mine is also a no-frills Norcold model with piezoelectric start and a manual switch for coldness setting and says right on the label that it is rated at 1A 12V DC.
    • Raul
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2015

Steve, good choice for the victron . I got 5 of them 3 150/35's one 75/15 and 75/10. Using the Bluetooth dongle you can actually perform different settings . Keep on eye on victron website for new firmaware and update it via dongle to unlock new functions . The 75/15 had good light control settings . I use it for the front drive and garden lights.

Comment

Working...