X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve14
    • May 2016

Seeking advice on 12v solar system

Hello All

I have a camper which I am installing solar panels on to keep my batteries topped up when on none electric sites. i would like some help on the setup.

First I would like some advice on a sutable controller, i bought a MPPT30 from ebay but after researching (should have done before buying) I have found that these are not good. So I am still seaking a good controller.

My power consumption estimated is below.

TV = 25W / 4hr / 8.5 Ah
    Phones = 14W / 2hr / 2.5 Ah
    External LED lights = 0.5A / 2hr / 1 Ah
    internal lights = 1A / 4hr / 4Ah
    pump = 30W / 1hr / 2.5Ah

Total will be approx 18.5 AHr per day.

I only wish to be on batteries for 2 days max with out moving on. When on the move the batteries will be chaging from the vehicle 12 autonator.

What I have at present is

2 deep cycle sealed 110Ah batteries

1 100W back contact solar panel. Specs are Pmax 100Wp / Vmp 18.97v / Imp 5.28A / Voc 22.76V / Isc 5.69A

i may need to add a second panel if this is not powerfull enough

Any suggestions on a controller and is this set up is ok. I need to stay 12v as all the van runs on 12v

Any help will be great thanks
  • Wy_White_Wolf
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

Everything looks workable within reason so you just need to go with a name brand charge controller instead of a cheap knock off/fake one.

Daily usage is less than 10% of the battery capacity so 2 days is no problem. Panel can provide daily usage with 2.2 hours insolation with an MPPT controller.

Morningstar makes an affordable 15A MPPT controller that would fit your need.

Comment

• steve14
      • May 2016

WWW thanks for the reply. I was hoping this would be powerfull enough. I agree with the controller should have done some more research before buying.

I've had a quick look at the Morningstar product SS-MPPT-15L which is the 15A MPPT controller. This would cost £195. I would prefer a cheaper controller but if this is the best one for this design then so be it. I will do some more looking around.

Any other suggestions on a good MPPT controller to supply about 15A.

also would like the option to expand in the future to two panels so we can stay longer on 12V may be 4 days

Comment

• Teocalli
        Teocalli commented
        Editing a comment
        Blue Sky makes very good controllers, a bit more money but they are solid.
    • littleharbor
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

The EP Solar Tracer 2215 RN MPPT while being a Chinese made controller is a true MPPT controller with a 150 volt max input. This can be had through ebay with a remote lcd meter for about $129.00 I have the 30 amp version and it seems to work as it should without any problem for the last 2 years now.​
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by steve14
        WWW thanks for the reply. I was hoping this would be powerfull enough. I agree with the controller should have done some more research before buying.

I've had a quick look at the Morningstar product SS-MPPT-15L which is the 15A MPPT controller. This would cost £195. I would prefer a cheaper controller but if this is the best one for this design then so be it. I will do some more looking around.

Any other suggestions on a good MPPT controller to supply about 15A.

also would like the option to expand in the future to two panels so we can stay longer on 12V may be 4 days
        Hard to recommend anything cheaper than the Morningstar and stay with a quality controller.

With only using less than 10% a day you can easily go 5 days without the solar. As long as you park somewhere that you get at least 2.5 hours insolation a day you should be able to go indefinitely. You only need to add production if you increase the daily load. Yes your panel is a little undersized for the battery. But that is because your battery is oversized for the load.

Comment

• steve14
          steve14 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hopefully the battery capacitor is ok for 5 days. i put the second batterly on in case we go 5 days on a forest trip with no charging points. Also with kids they just plug in and don't think about the power use. The original quote might be a bit low so with the two batteries I should be ok.

one question what do you mean by insolation a day. Sorry if this is a newbie question. As for the panel. my idea was to start with one panel and controller and be able to expand a little if needed in the future when i have more money.
      • steve14
        • May 2016

i was just looking at this Tracer 2215 20a version. Not been able to find much in the way of review or any one that has tested it yet. If this does work as a true MPPT then its a good price for a controller.

Anyone else tried these controllers.

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

Yes it does work as a true MPPT controller as I said earlier. You want to find a cheap MPPT controller and I mentioned this one. Personally I am a Midnite solar fan but you don't sound like you want to spend the money on a premium controller.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• steve14
            • May 2016

I'm not looking for a cheaper version of the Tracer. I've found some reviews and so far all loots good.

The Midnight controllers as you said are premium controllers and not with in my budget for the amount of power I will need.

I will do some more digging but the Tracer looks a good buy so far so thanks for the recommendation.
            Last edited by steve14; 05-05-2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• LETitROLL
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2014

I'm not looking for a cheaper version of the Tracer. I've found some reviews and so far all loots good.

The Midnight controllers as you said are premium controllers and not with in my budget for the amount of power I will need.

I will do some more digging but the Tracer looks a good buy so far so thanks for the recommendation.
              Victron energy makes a 75/15a Mppt controller, very good controllers 5 year warranty, kind of simple and basic looking, but i think leaps and bounds better/higher quality than the tracer, i just got the cable for mine to fully adjust it also, i see them around as low as $100.
              Maximize the energy-harvest, driving it intelligently to achieve full charge in the shortest possible time using the BlueSolar MPPT 75/10, 75/15 & 100/15. Find a dealer nearby.

Comment

• steve14
                • May 2016

Hi LET thanks for the Victron recommendation. This looks really good. Lots reviews on it an dwith the Bluetooth I get all the information and 30 day history tracker. This looks like a great product.

Comment

• steve14
                  • May 2016

so I will be buying the controller today. Done some research and have two options.

Tracer 2215 20a version. This looks good but not much in the way of reviews on the web. Not a great interface or PC software from what I can see but has 20A charge current and higher panel wattage

or

Victron 75/15. This looks a good product. Lots reviews and all good from what I have read. Godd reputable company so product reliability should be good. i like the blueTooth interface and the history tracing on this. i have an old iphone I can mount permanent in the van. Only down side is the lower current output. But with my loading on the batteries this should not be a problem, and only 200W panel ratting. Again I have one 100W panel and if I upgrade to 200W this should be adequate for my needs. Also the 5V+ switch on above 12V before charging. This is probably a problem with one panel, but with two in series should be ok.

Im more drawn to the Victron due to the amount of data i can find on the web and the better interface.

Any thoughts to what would be best.

Comment

• flower
                    • May 2016

I want to buy some pieces of solar lights, where to find the best solar garden light?

find these:
                    Discover affordable items for your home and life needs. Enjoy our money back guarantee, frequent discounts, flat rate shipping (select markets), and more.

Discover affordable items for your home and life needs. Enjoy our money back guarantee, frequent discounts, flat rate shipping (select markets), and more.

looks good,cheap price, also brand guarantee
                    Last edited by flower; 05-07-2016, 04:52 AM.

Comment

• LETitROLL
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • May 2014

Only down side is the lower current output. But with my loading on the batteries this should not be a problem, and only 200W panel ratting. Again I have one 100W panel and if I upgrade to 200W this should be adequate for my needs. Also the 5V+ switch on above 12V before charging. This is probably a problem with one panel, but with two in series should be ok.

Im more drawn to the Victron due to the amount of data i can find on the web and the better interface.

Any thoughts to what would be best.
                      It will pretty much fully utilize the 200w anyway since at 12v x 15a = 180w and with any system not being 100% efficient there is no more than a few minutes a day that your panels/wiring may be able to produce that full rating anyways, the switch on voltage is a non issue even with 1 panel, you have standard 12v panels with a VOC of nearly 23v and vmp of 18.9v and that controller has that factored in. I run mine overpaneled some so that 95% of the day when it is not "solar noon" and the panels are producing less than their maximum nameplate rating, and/or cloudy days, etc. I end up getting all i can in those situations, that controller will just disregard the excess if you get perfect conditions for a bit.

Comment

• steve14
                        • May 2016

Thanks for the advice. I've gone for the Victron and the Bluetooth Dongle. Should have it hopefully by the end of the week.

Comment

• ewarnerusa
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2016

Hello All

I have a camper which I am installing solar panels on to keep my batteries topped up when on none electric sites. i would like some help on the setup.

First I would like some advice on a sutable controller, i bought a MPPT30 from ebay but after researching (should have done before buying) I have found that these are not good. So I am still seaking a good controller.

My power consumption estimated is below.

TV = 25W / 4hr / 8.5 Ah
                          Phones = 14W / 2hr / 2.5 Ah
                          External LED lights = 0.5A / 2hr / 1 Ah
                          internal lights = 1A / 4hr / 4Ah
                          pump = 30W / 1hr / 2.5Ah

Total will be approx 18.5 AHr per day.

I only wish to be on batteries for 2 days max with out moving on. When on the move the batteries will be chaging from the vehicle 12 autonator.

What I have at present is

2 deep cycle sealed 110Ah batteries

1 100W back contact solar panel. Specs are Pmax 100Wp / Vmp 18.97v / Imp 5.28A / Voc 22.76V / Isc 5.69A

i may need to add a second panel if this is not powerfull enough

Any suggestions on a controller and is this set up is ok. I need to stay 12v as all the van runs on 12v

Any help will be great thanks
                          I recommend double that solar wattage for 200 W minimum. I have similar usage and setup with my camper and 280 watts (with PWM controller) keeps us going just fine as long as I don't do a deep daily discharge from overusing the inverter for 120V AC stuff.
                          You don't mention furnace in your usage, nor propane fridge. I've seen estimates around 7 A for the furnace fan. A modern absorption fridge on propane will still consume about 1 A DC draw continuously to power the control board. So that alone is 24 Ah/day, although I think Peukert effect means it really comes out to less than that.
                          I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

Working...