X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ko4nrbs
    • Mar 2016

Solar Panel Recommendation

I need a Solar panel to power this charger:

My application is as follows. I intend to use the charger to keep the cells charged up. The cells will be connected in parallel with a camera but external to the camera. I am expecting the charger to keep the cells charged up as sunshine permits. Everything will be installed in a waterproof case. This will be left in the woods to capture photographs of animals as they wander by.

The camera remains off until an animal comes into the PIR sensor.
    The control board operation for the camera is explained here. I have soldered wire inside the camera for Power, Shutter and Ground and they are connected to the control board. The control board has 3 AAA batteries that power it.

Camera Operation:
    At motion, camera turns on and shutters first picture
    Waits with camera on for 30 seconds for a second animal or event with the camera ready.
    Can shutter the second follow-up picture or pictures within less than 5 seconds apart.
    Will stay on for 30 seconds after the last picture, and then return to the selected delay routine if one has been chosen.

I have never used Solar Panels so need a recommendation on what is best for my needs.

Bill
  • DanKegel
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

What model camera, and are you using those AAA's to power both the camera and the control board?

How long does it run if you just charge the batteries once?

How long will you leave it in place?

Will this be shaded part or all of the day, or in full sun?

Where is this (zipcode?)?

Comment

• ko4nrbs
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by DanKegel
      What model camera, and are you using those AAA's to power both the camera and the control board? Sony H55, AAA batteries are only in the control board. I have been using the camera's Li-ion battery with 18650 Li-ion cells connected to provide external power.

How long does it run if you just charge the batteries once? Depends on number of pictures I get. Normally over a month.

How long will you leave it in place? 1 to 3 months.

Will this be shaded part or all of the day, or in full sun? Shaded part of the day.

Where is this (zipcode?)?

Comment

• Logan005
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2015

They make hunter cameras that already do this, no solar panel but runs on batteries and uses SD card for the memory.
        4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• ko4nrbs
          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Logan005
          They make hunter cameras that already do this, no solar panel but runs on batteries and uses SD card for the memory.
          I know. I build my own so I can get better quality pics.
          Bill

Comment

• Logan005
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2015

Ok, that is answered. If I built something like this, I would use an SDI video, true 1080, or wifi camera also true 1080. to power it via solar panel requires you know the power draw of each component and solar insolation, If your home is close, you could record the video via wifi, eliminating the need to power the recorder. If not go SDI and an SDI recorder. I will not guess the power draw of these items, you will need to get the equipment you wish and test each component so you know the numbers, then you will want to locate the solar panel in an optimum location and base your 3 day autonomy on your numbers.
            4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• ko4nrbs
              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Logan005
              Ok, that is answered. If I built something like this, I would use an SDI video, true 1080, or wifi camera also true 1080. to power it via solar panel requires you know the power draw of each component and solar insolation, If your home is close, you could record the video via wifi, eliminating the need to power the recorder. If not go SDI and an SDI recorder. I will not guess the power draw of these items, you will need to get the equipment you wish and test each component so you know the numbers, then you will want to locate the solar panel in an optimum location and base your 3 day autonomy on your numbers.
              This camera will be taking pics and no videos. It's power consumption while shooting with the LCD on is 1.3 watts.
              Bill

Comment

• DanKegel
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

Found a few of your other threads. Nice pictures!
                http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/inde...howtopic=54432
                http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/inde...howtopic=55504
                http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/inde...howtopic=55841

I haven't done this myself, so take this info with a grain of salt.

How big a panel do you need?
                - judging by your comments, you need something like 10Wh / month out of the battery
                - if the camera's in the woods, you'll probably get very little sun.
                - if charging is 50% efficient (no idea what it really is), you'll need 20Wh / month in.
                - if you get 15 minutes of direct sun per day, that'd be 7 hours of sun total per month
                20Wh / 7 h = 3 watts. Geez, that seems really small, better check my math.

What voltage do you need? You're charging a 3.6 (?) volt battery, and your charger needs 2 more volts than that, so you need at least a 6 volt panel.
                You can probably get something suitable (e.g. a 5 watt 12 volt panel) for $20 or less, but there's a lot of crap out there.
                http://www.hqsolarpower.com/HQ-10-Wa...p/hqst-10d.htm was the first one I ran into that didn't look like crap.
                It has MC4 connectors rather than bare wires, which is good but might be annoying for you. Amazon has 'em for $32, and the 20W ones for $45.
                It's way overkill, but if you don't want to worry about positioning the panel carefully to catch full sun, maybe that's what you need.
                I just hope that charger doesn't fry the battery if you get a lot of sun.... uh-oh, it looks like it's not smart enough to do that. You'd need a better charger.

Why not just use a motorcycle battery instead of solar?

Keep us posted on what you eventually try, and how well it works.
                Last edited by DanKegel; 03-13-2016, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• ko4nrbs
                  • Mar 2016

Found a few of your other threads. Nice pictures!
                  http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/inde...howtopic=54432
                  http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/inde...howtopic=55504
                  http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/inde...howtopic=55841

I haven't done this myself, so take this info with a grain of salt.

How big a panel do you need?
                  - judging by your comments, you need something like 10Wh / month out of the battery
                  - if the camera's in the woods, you'll probably get very little sun.
                  - if charging is 50% efficient (no idea what it really is), you'll need 20Wh / month in.
                  - if you get 15 minutes of direct sun per day, that'd be 7 hours of sun total per month
                  20Wh / 7 h = 3 watts. Geez, that seems really small, better check my math.

What voltage do you need? You're charging a 3.6 (?) volt battery, and your charger needs 2 more volts than that, so you need at least a 6 volt panel.
                  You can probably get something suitable (e.g. a 5 watt 12 volt panel) for $20 or less, but there's a lot of crap out there.
                  http://www.hqsolarpower.com/HQ-10-Wa...p/hqst-10d.htm was the first one I ran into that didn't look like crap.
                  It has MC4 connectors rather than bare wires, which is good but might be annoying for you. Amazon has 'em for $32, and the 20W ones for $45.
                  It's way overkill, but if you don't want to worry about positioning the panel carefully to catch full sun, maybe that's what you need.
                  I just hope that charger doesn't fry the battery if you get a lot of sun.... uh-oh, it looks like it's not smart enough to do that. You'd need a better charger.

Why not just use a motorcycle battery instead of solar?

Keep us posted on what you eventually try, and how well it works.
                  I have to mount the cameras up the trees about 10 to 12 feet to help discourage theft. That's why I want to go Solar and keep everything light.
                  Last edited by ko4nrbs; 03-13-2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• ko4nrbs
                    • Mar 2016

I've also considered these charging modules. I may use LiFePO4 cells or Li-ion cells depending on the camera I use.

Why do you feel the first charger may fry the batteries?

I believe these modules will do the job as well.
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5-9V-1-5A-...0AAOxydlFS7eef

If I use the LiFePO4 26650 cells in Series I can use one of these Balance boards to Balance charge with these little chargers.
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Balance-Boar...oAAOxy3HJTG1DR

For 18650 Li-ion cells
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Balance-Boar...oAAMXQPatTGwwh

Li-ion Balance Board
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Balance-Boar...oAAMXQPatTGwwh

Bill
                    Last edited by ko4nrbs; 03-13-2016, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• DanKegel
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2014

You need to talk with a battery guy; I'm sure one will be along shortly

Lithium batteries can be finicky; if you over or undercharge them, very bad things can happen.
                      You want a charge controller that protects the battery from those situations.
                      Evidently there are very small and cheap PCBs that claim to do that, e.g. http://www.batteryjunction.com/prcimopcbfor.html

Good luck!

Comment

• ko4nrbs
                        • Mar 2016

You need to talk with a battery guy; I'm sure one will be along shortly

Lithium batteries can be finicky; if you over or undercharge them, very bad things can happen.
                        You want a charge controller that protects the battery from those situations.
                        Evidently there are very small and cheap PCBs that claim to do that, e.g. http://www.batteryjunction.com/prcimopcbfor.html

Good luck!
                        Since the charger's output voltage is adjustable I thought it would be ok. The Protection board is good insurance though.
                        Bill

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ko4nrbs

I have to mount the cameras up the trees about 10 to 12 feet to help discourage theft. That's why I want to go Solar and keep everything light.
                          Just about any amount of shade will greatly reduce a solar panel output. Unless the panel is in direct sunlight for a couple of hours on both sides of Noon it won't be able to do much charging.

Comment

• inetdog
                            Super Moderator
                            • May 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle

Just about any amount of shade will greatly reduce a solar panel output. Unless the panel is in direct sunlight for a couple of hours on both sides of Noon it won't be able to do much charging.
                            If it is unavoidable that there will be some partial shading of the panel by branches and leaves, this may be one of the few situations where a thin film amorphous panel might actually be preferable to a crystalline silicon panel.
                            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ko4nrbs
                              • Mar 2016

The area is fairly open but will be shaded some.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...