Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davedavedave
    • Mar 2016

Small system advice

I have two 50 watt panels (Siemens SM50) I purchased used years ago that have been just laying around that i would like to use to power some lights and maybe a fan in my 14ft camper. I have a Morningstar SunSaver-10 controller that i was plan on using to power the batteries. I thought i might build some brackets to attach the panels to the roof of my suv (I might end up buying a different camper, so i don't want to mount any panels to the roof of the camper yet). Anyway, can i just run wires from the panels to the +- terminals on the controller and then from the 12v +- battery connectors on the controller to the battery bank? I assume this will work, since the batteries are wired to the fuse box that is in the camper. Everything in the camper is DC, except the microwave and ac, but i have a generator i can use if i run those. Some of the places i plan on visiting might not have power hook ups, so it would be nice if i can keep my batteries charged.

• davedavedave
    • Mar 2016

SM-55 SM-50
    Nominal voltage 12V 12V
    Maximum power (1) 55W 50W
    Minimum power (2) 50W 45W
    Current at the maximum power point 3,15A 3,05A
    Voltage at the maximum power point 17,4V 16,6V
    Maximum current (short circuit output) 3,45A 3,4A
    Maximum voltage (open circuit) 21,7 21,4
    Nominal working temperature 45ºC
    Current temperature coefficient +1.2mA/°C
    Voltage temperature coefficient -0.077 Volts/°C
    Range of temperature variation -40 a 85ºC
    Relative humidity 85%
    Maximum system voltage 1000V (ISPRA)
    600V (UL1703)
    Maximum pressure on the surface 2400N/m2
    Maximum distortion (3) 1.2 degrees
    Ice balls resistance (25 mm diameter) 23 m/s
    Cells in series 36
    Dimensions 1293 x 329 x 34 mm
    Weight 5,5 kg

Comment

• sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

Those panels won't provide very much energy, but it may be better than nothing. Hooking it up as you've suggested sounds right, just make sure you keep the panels in parallel, not in series.

I would suggest connecting the battery to the controller first, then then panels.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• davedavedave
        • Mar 2016

Thanks for the quick response. I think if this works out for me i will invest in a few larger panels and a nicer charge controller.

Comment

• ewarnerusa
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2016

You'll encounter voltage drop between the controller and the batteries, so you could be wasting quite a bit of solar harvest due to wire resistance. It will be better than nothing, though. Try to minimize the wire distance between the controller and batteries and use fat wiring.

I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

Working...