Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjc8870
    • Feb 2016

Newbie questions

I have recently become quite interested in solar power and have been researching and watching video's to try and educate myself. My use would be for a small shed to just run a few lights and maybe charge a few drill batteries etc... Additionally, I would like to use for my RV on a part time basis. I don't plan to boondock on a full time basis but just a day or two here and there, and would also have a small generator to power battery's if necessary.

My question is in regards to wiring inverter to a outlet or switch to control lights. I haven't found an article or video showing how this should be done. For instance, if I wanted to wire a switch and light in shed, and wanted to wire in a few outlets. Can someone explain how this can be done? I understand I can run a strip from outlets on inverter but was curious if I can hook switch and outlets from inverter.

Thanks,

complete newbie
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

What you are asking about, is something much like I set up after buying property, You have to limit your loads to what the panel can supply in a day, or you will ruin the battery quickly. There are some stickies in the 12V RV off-grid section that cover determining the right size.
    This section is for those wanting to run small 12V systems for RV's or camping or boats, hobbies or whatever else you can think of.

As for the AC wiring, it's the same Lethality as household 120VAC circuits, if you can wire standard household AC circuits, the AC half of solar is the same, If you don't know how, it's beyond the scope of what we here at this message board can instruct you on. Sorry to be harsh, but AC hertz.
    DangerDieHurtAllTheWay.jpg
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mjc8870
      I have recently become quite interested in solar power and have been researching and watching video's to try and educate myself. My use would be for a small shed to just run a few lights and maybe charge a few drill batteries etc... Additionally, I would like to use for my RV on a part time basis. I don't plan to boondock on a full time basis but just a day or two here and there, and would also have a small generator to power battery's if necessary.

My question is in regards to wiring inverter to a outlet or switch to control lights. I haven't found an article or video showing how this should be done. For instance, if I wanted to wire a switch and light in shed, and wanted to wire in a few outlets. Can someone explain how this can be done? I understand I can run a strip from outlets on inverter but was curious if I can hook switch and outlets from inverter.

Thanks,

complete newbie
      As Mike stated if you do not understand or have experience with wiring AC or DC circuits then don't even try it. It can get you killed.

The safest option is to use the outlet on the inverter and run a power strip for your loads. But be careful that you don't overload that inverter or the battery system.

I would also hope you understand what your daily watt hour usage will be in the shed to properly size your battery system and the pv panel wattage.

Comment

• mjc8870
        • Feb 2016

Should have clarified, I do have help from someone who is electrician. My question was, for personal knowledge. I just wanted to know if inverter only has outlet to power, how do all of you wire to outlets etc..... I guess I will just ask my friend who is electrician. I was just curious.

Thanks

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

The only legal and safe way to wire and inverter to a breaker panel is by using a UL listed grid tie inverter. Not one of those cheap "plug in" a receptacle type.

Other wise it is best to just use the inverter outlet with an extension cord to your load or power strip to multiple small loads. Remember it is easy to over load an inverter with multiple loads being used at the same time.
          Last edited by inetdog; 02-09-2016, 04:31 PM. Reason: Speling

Comment

Working...