Syncable inverters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncable inverters?

Does anyone make syncable inverters? In my grid breaker box I combine two 115V circuits to get a single 230V circuit for running things like air conditioners or my woodworking jointer. The price for 230V inverters capable of running this equipment is fairly high. I think the Outback model is almost 5k. I see 115V inverters with half the wattage capability for a fifth of this price. Does anyone make a linkable inverter system? I'm guessing they would need a specialized sync connection.

Originally posted by createthis View Post
    Does anyone make syncable inverters? In my grid breaker box I combine two 115V circuits to get a single 230V circuit for running things like air conditioners or my woodworking jointer. The price for 230V inverters capable of running this equipment is fairly high. I think the Outback model is almost 5k. I see 115V inverters with half the wattage capability for a fifth of this price. Does anyone make a linkable inverter system? I'm guessing they would need a specialized sync connection.
    Yes, unless they are grid tie inverters which all sync to the same utility power source, there will have to be some sort of signal linkage between the two inverters and they will have to be designed to allow sync in the first place.
    Unless the inverter has an isolated (floating) output there will be two different settings of the synchronization. One to allow the two inverters to be run in parallel at 120V for high current loads and the other to allow them to have opposite polarity output to stack to form a 120/240V system.
    In general the inverters that allow stacking are the more expensive and ruggedly designed ones, such as Outback, Xantrex, etc.
    You can also use a 120V output inverter with an autotransformer to produce 240V center tapped from that output.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      Yes, unless they are grid tie inverters which all sync to the same utility power source, there will have to be some sort of signal linkage between the two inverters and they will have to be designed to allow sync in the first place.
      Unless the inverter has an isolated (floating) output there will be two different settings of the synchronization. One to allow the two inverters to be run in parallel at 120V for high current loads and the other to allow them to have opposite polarity output to stack to form a 120/240V system.
      In general the inverters that allow stacking are the more expensive and ruggedly designed ones, such as Outback, Xantrex, etc.
      You can also use a 120V output inverter with an autotransformer to produce 240V center tapped from that output.

"stacking". Thanks. That returns some results.

Comment

Working...
      X