X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by createthis

I understand it's non-standard. I don't understand how it's "asking for trouble", however. Is it inherently dangerous in some way?
    Just one example: Having the array start to produce voltage before the contactor has closed on the battery side may not actually damage the Classic, but it is likely to cost you at least one day's production.
    I do not know whether the "moonlight" voltage from the array is enough to cause problems, and switching the DC on the array side (high voltage DC) will be real pain and may get you into electrical code problems you do not want to have.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• createthis
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
      Just one example: Having the array start to produce voltage before the contactor has closed on the battery side may not actually damage the Classic, but it is likely to cost you at least one day's production.
      I do not know whether the "moonlight" voltage from the array is enough to cause problems, and switching the DC on the array side (high voltage DC) will be real pain and may get you into electrical code problems you do not want to have.

It's a small portable 12V system. Code doesn't apply. I'm just playing with a toy system while I learn.

Yes, my battery is really small at the moment. Too small for the Midnite Classic. My solar array is also too small for the classic. Clearly. However, with a portable system, I'll be going from an undersized array to a properly sized array sometimes, so it's a possible engineering problem I could attempt to solve.

Right now I'm just switching the battery with a 12V manual switch. I might leave it that way, but it might be fun to play around with a contactor too.

Lighten up everyone. It's just a toy system. I'm not burning houses down or planning a permanent installation. I'm just learning and gaining experience and thinking while I do it.

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

The small battery does make it more desirable to be able to avoid the idle power consumption of the Classic. (And, crossing threads, makes it more reasonable to recommend a BMS which can provide a cutoff signal to the Classic. In particular the BMS can completely cut off current based on battery temp while the Classic is not easily programmed for that function.)
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...