No announcement yet.

Portable Solar "Generator" Build - Midnite Classic 150 - Rigid Pro Gear Cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Solar "Generator" Build - Midnite Classic 150 - Rigid Pro Gear Cart

Here's a link to the part of the video where I lift the lid and talk about the internals:

Comment

You are violating the clearance requirements for the Midnite charge controller - it needs airflow around it. Kind of a small system for that big of a controller though so you'll be ok. Could put up to 12 PV panels on a Classic. There are less expensive MPPT controllers for just a few panels. Gives nice room for expansion though.... More Power! Next step is to get a real inverter...
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
        Could put up to 12 PV panels on a Classic. There are less expensive MPPT controllers for just a few panels. Gives nice room for expansion though.... More Power!
        Yup. I'll probably upgrade to four panels, then six a few months after that. We'll see if I need more than that.

Next step is to get a real inverter...
        What is a real inverter? The one in the video is a pure sine wave inverter, which is pretty nice, IMO. I will probably buy a larger inverter at some point in the future, but only when I need one. Currently, everything I use the inverter to charge (laptops and personal electric vehicles mostly) fall within the 300W range. Theoretically, a 300W inverter will be more efficient than a 1000W inverter if that's all I'm using. The nice thing is that I can use anderson connectors to attach another inverter whenever I want. Might need to beef up the cabling a bit though.
        Last edited by createthis; 01-28-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

You are violating the clearance requirements for the Midnite charge controller - it needs airflow around it.
          I don't see anything about clearance requirements in the user manual the classic shipped with. Where do you see that? The e-panel they show in the manual butts right up against the left side of the classic just like the case in the video. Granted, it's metal, so it'll conduct heat better. The fans on the classic intake air from the front v-shaped grill and exhaust through the round holes at the bottom of the classic. None of that is obstructed, so as long as the case is open while charging, I figure it'll be fine.
          Last edited by createthis; 01-28-2016, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X