Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brucewol
    • Mar 2014

converting to MPPT, adding panels

Hi A couple of years ago I installed 2 solar panels – UniSolar PV 68 Watt on the roof of my camper. My battery bank was a pair of 12 volts – Interstate Deep Cycle and Costco Marine Deep Cycle. Controller was a SunForce PWM 30 AMP . Overall, I was reasonably happy with the system. Now my batteries are 5 years old and a couple of times I ran the voltage down to 10 or so volts, so I thought I'd replace them.

That started what now appears to be a major upgrade. I now have a pair of Interstate 6 volts golf cart batteries from Costco. Costco is light on the specs but said they were 208 AH - similar to GC2-RD-UT directly from Interstate. But the Costco price was about 1/2. My inverted is a PowerBite 1100 W that I rarely use and when I do, it's less than 200 watts of load. The inverter is fused with an 80 Amp fuse, so I'll never use the full1100 watts. The inverter/battery connection loop, including positive and negative connections is 5 feet of #6 gauge, so I figure for voltage drop I've got 2.5 feet of one way cable. The positive cable is about 2 feet, the negative cable 3 feet to get to the other side of the batteries as well as hook into the ammeter shunt. That gives me a voltage drop of 1.36% at the full 80 amps. But at a more typical 20 amps usage, the voltage drop is .34%. So I think I'm okay for the battery/inverter wiring.

I decided to add some more panels, so now my system will have 4 UniSolar PVL 68 watt panels. My camper is a popup with a thin skin aluminum roof over a foam layer. Light and easy to raise but not much to attach solar panels to. That's why I like the Unisloar. They are roll on self stick and they really stick. I'm sure other panels could give me better wattage at a better price but the stick on is key. These are the panel specs. For wire sizes I used STC (Standard Test Conditions) as this would be the worse cause scenario.

STC
    (Standard Test Conditions)
    ( 1000 W/m2, AM 1.5, 25 °C Cell Temperature)
    Maximum Power (Pmax): 68 W
    Voltage at Pmax (Vmpp): 16.5 V
    Current at Pmax (lmpp): 4.13 A
    Short-circuit Current (Isc): 5.1 A
    Open-circuit Voltage (Voc): 23.1 V
    Maximum Series Fuse Rating: 10 A (UL), 8 A (IEC)

NOCT
    (Nominal Operating Cell Temperature)
    (800 W/m2, AM 1.5, 1 m/sec. wind)
    Maximum Power (Pmax): 53 W
    Voltage at Pmax (Vmpp): 15.4 V
    Current at Pmax (lmpp): 3.42 A
    Short-circuit Current (Isc): 4.1 A
    Open-circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.1 V
    NOCT: 46 °C

There are 11 solar cells per panel with bypass diodes across every solar cell. From the panels to the controller is approximately 7 feet. With the initial 2 panels, I ran 2 #10 gauge wires to the controller. Because the roof goes up and down, I needed wire that was flexible. I thought 2 #10's would be more flexible than a single #8. That was for a 2 panel parallel setup If the 4 panels are now in series, a single #10 is way oversized. The wire size calculator at http://www.freesunpower.com/wire_calc.php says I could get by with #24 gauge. Seems too small, but another calculator at http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm confirms this. Am I doing something wrong?

From the controller to the batteries, there is also a 7 foot run. Here I've got #8 gauge. The voltage drop is 1.24%, well below the target of 3%.

So now, finally the questions.

1. Does what I've written above make sense?
    2. How will shading impact the performance with multiple panels. I'm thinking that panels in series with bypass diodes are the best configuration. I'm most concerned with shading by trees that will not be uniform over the camper roof rather than cloud shading which should be more uniform.
    3. I'll need a new MPPT controller. Something from MidnightSun is a bit too much for me. I'd liked get something in the $250 range or below as long as I'm getting reasonable quality. I'm assuming that I will need something that will handle the 12 volt output amps, for me 16.52.
    4. I think I could have a single fuse on the roof for the input into the controller. The specs for the panel list a maximum series fuse rating of 10 Amps. Is this what I use? For the output side, where does the fuse go, near the battery or near the controller. Or do I need 2 fuses since the are 2 power sources – the controller and the battery? If the wire were to short, there could be voltage at either end. At the controller end, there would be maximum amperage of 20 amps because that's all the panels would supply.

Thanks for any help, comments.

• Mike90250
    • May 2009

even with 4 panels, you have quite a small array, of about 200 w and maybe 15 amps.
    For an RV, I would wire the panels in parallel, because if in series, any shading on one will reduce the output.
    I don't think there is a diode across each cell, and for a 21Voc you have more than 11 cells in each panel.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• brucewol
      • Mar 2014

Mike90250 - Thanks for the input. I really need to understand the shading issues better. Will shading of one panel reduce the output of the other panels? And what are the tradeoffs of parallel vs series regarding shading. I've attached the panel specs. There are only 11 cells in the panel, just counted them.UniSolar is no longer in business, so it will be hard to get any more info than what is on the data sheet.

I agree that it's not a very big system but fits my needs. And I'm out of space on the roof of my RV. Solar_Panels_PB_PVL-68_Technical_Data_Sheet_EN_AA4-3698-05Rev1.pdf Solar_Panels_PB_PVL-68_Technical_Data_Sheet_EN_AA4-3698-05Rev1.pdf The only thing I don't get that I would like is a coffee maker. Really just too much wattage to run through inverters. I could go with a 12 volt coffee maker or low wattage 120 model but this take a lot longer. So at the point, it's just easier for me to boil water using propane and a drip cone filter.

Comment

• brucewol
        • Mar 2014

Mike90250 - Thanks for the input. I really need to understand the shading issues better. Will shading of one panel reduce the output of the other panels? And what are the tradeoffs of parallel vs series regarding shading. I've attached the panel specs. There are only 11 cells in the panel, just counted them.UniSolar is no longer in business, so it will be hard to get any more info than what is on the data sheet.

I agree that it's not a very big system but fits my needs. And I'm out of space on the roof of my RV. The only thing I don't get that I would like is a coffee maker. Really just too much wattage to run through inverters. I could go with a 12 volt coffee maker or low wattage 120 model but this take a lot longer. So at the point, it's just easier for me to boil water using propane and a drip cone filter.

Comment

• brucewol
          • Mar 2014

woops - not sure how the solar data sheet attachment got posted the way it did, here it is standalone.

Attached Files

Comment

• sensij
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2014

With bypass diodes across every cell as the data sheet indicates, putting them all in series would minimize the loss due to shade. However, it would be worth keeping an eye on the output in case a diode fails... the current will drop off sharply in partial shade conditions if the bypass is not intact.

With an MPPT controller, putting panels in parallel means that shade on one will have an effect on the others, because any cells that get bypassed will reduce the Vmp of that panel. In parallel all panels must be at the same voltage, and the charge controller will be seeking an operating voltage that maximizes the total power... which means it probably finds a voltage somewhere between the Vmp of the unshaded panels and the Vmp of the shaded panel, with none of them at their true optimum point.

Putting all four in series would give you Vmp = 60-65 V. You might find that charge controllers with output at 12 V are more efficient by putting two in series, in parallel. That will be a compromise between the all series and all parallel configurations as far as shade response goes. With just two strings in parallel, a fuse between the panels and charge controller should not be necessary.

I'll try to look later at your wire size questions.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

At 200 watts you still have a TOY and no need to upgrade anything. Your PWM 30 amp controller can handle up to 7 of those panels. The only thing you will really gain with a MPPT controler is a thinner wallet. Wait until you can use real 200 watt Solar panels and more than one of them.

Secondly if you cannot afford a MorningStar controller, then you cannot afford a MPPT controller period. Even a good 15 amp MPPT controller will cost you at least $200. Do not fall for the Cheap units you see on the web, they are junk.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

As Sensij says, two in series, in parallel, with a MPPT controller is likely the least complicated way. it reduces the need for fuses & combiners.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• brucewol
                  • Mar 2014

Pretty much decided that I will upgrade to a MPPT controller. My existing panels have MC3 connectors, so it is easy for me to configure 4 in series or two in series in parallel just by getting up to the roof of the camper. I don't want add 4 panel fuses and a combiner on the roof just to keep my PWM controller. Rather put the effort (a fair amount to add anything on the roof of my camper) and money into a MPPT controller.Will be looking for a decent controller, probably something that would support 30 amps to allow expansion. The 100 watt Renogy/HQSR panels could work on my camper roof.

A lot of the of the better MPPT controllers have capabilities that I don't need like data logging. Think something with the just MPPT functionality and battery charge status, maybe battery voltage would do.

Comment

• PNjunction
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2012

Just be aware that these are "thin film amorphous" panels, as opposed to mono/poly crystalline types, and as such are less efficient requiring more space for the same given output.

The issue of shading to be careful about is that most consumers will read "tolerant of shadows", and assume that shadowing at all is ok. Tolerant does not mean impervious. What is being tolerated when there are shadows from structure edges, powerlines and so forth is the reverse-bias placed upon the shaded areas, and of course only the shadowed areas no long putting forth any output - useful, but there is a catch!

Fortunately shadows move during the day, but even a thin-film can suffer degradation from long-standing shadows during the day, especially the summer months. They have tried to make it even more robust by dividing the panel into sections, and using bypass diodes (just like you do with mono/poly crystallines) in an attempt to lower the reverse bias that will exist across the shadowed area, and the most degradation occurs along the shadow edge, especially if it is long standing day in day out.

Thin film's have less overall operational life (well until you get to MUCH lower power output as they really start to age), than do mono-polycrystallines, so the moral here is to try and NOT SHADOW these as well!

In addition, an argument can be made that due to them being larger than mono/poly crystalline's, they have a comparatively larger surface area in which shadows can fall!

Anyway, just wanted to point out that you see this often with newcomers using thin-films, and thinking that they are impervious to shadowing, when they really aren't. Bypass diodes can certainly help, but some lower end thin-film products may not have any bypass diodes at all - certainly try to keep these shadow-free as much as you can.
                    Last edited by PNjunction; 01-23-2016, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• brucewol
                      • Mar 2014

PNJunction - thanks for the info. When I got my first 2 Uninsolar panels 3 or so years ago there weren't a lot of stick or glue on panels that I found. I really didn't know that much about solar at the time. Still don't but on a steep learning curve. The aluminum skin roof on the camper doesn't allow me many options to mount panels. The Renogy/HQS 100 watt and KingSolar 120 watt are options that could work and both are mono/poly crystalline. But I've now got 4 UniSolar panels, so that's what I'll use.

I was just about to order a BlueSky 2000E 25 amp MPPT controller but noticed the the VOC was limited to 30. The UniSolar has a VOC of 23.1 so I wouldn't be able to put a 2 string series together. Thought a little bit about a Reogy Tracer 3215RN. This looks like it's made by EP and I can get it on ebay for $166 with a remote display. I think $200 if I buy from Renogy to have US support and then would need to add a display. And MorningStar now has the ProStar MPPT 25A for $300. No remote display but the unit display would work in the location I have in mind. They strongly recommend a temperature sensor which is another $37.

So I'll look a bit more. There are a number of 30 amp or so MPPT controllers in the $200 range. But for a top tier controller, the MorningStar Prostar 25A looks the least expensive.

Comment

• littleharbor
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2016

Take a look at the Midnite Solar Kid 30 amp controller. Probably the best 30 amp MPPT controller going. Slightly over $300.00 but worth every cent.
                        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by brucewol
                          I ran 2 #10 gauge wires to the controller. Because the roof goes up and down, I needed wire that was flexible. I thought 2 #10's would be more flexible than a single #8. That was for a 2 panel parallel setup If the 4 panels are now in series, a single #10 is way oversized. The wire size calculator at http://www.freesunpower.com/wire_calc.php says I could get by with #24 gauge. Seems too small, but another calculator at http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm confirms this. Am I doing something wrong?
                          Code Violation. You cannot parallel conductors smaller than 1/0. When paralleled, the conductors OCPD must used to protect each individual conductors. Your calculations are wrong.

Assuming 7 feet one-way distance with 7 amps I have no idea how you came up with a 2-10 AWG wires because all that is required is 14 AWG. FWIW 14 AWG is the smallest allowable conductor you can use to be code compliant. What you have is not code compliant.

With 14 AWG wire your maximum distance with 2% voltage drop at:

5 amps = 16-feet one-way
                          10 amps = 9 feet 1-way
                          15 amps maximum safe current on 14 AWG = 6 feet one-way.

At 200 watts (4.1 amps), 4 panels in series into a MPPT controller and 14 AWG wire can be used up to 83 feet 0ne-Way
                          Last edited by Sunking; 01-24-2016, 01:05 PM.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• brucewol
                            • Mar 2014

littleharbor - thanks for the tip on MidNite Solar Kid 30. Somehow I overlooked this, thought all MidNite mppt controllers were in the $500 range. It looks like a very good unit. And the no fan design with the external heat sink fins would be a good fit for my RV as I was planning on mounting it on the side of a cabinet. Would wall off behind the unit from the rest of the cabinet.

Sunking - The reason that I put 2 #10 in parallel was that I didn't know what I was doing. On my SunForce controller, it said use #10 for the PV side for a distance of 10 feet. Didn't mention anything about the number or size of the panels. So I guess I figured 2 panels, 2 #10's. For standard 12 volt wiring in a car I know that would be way oversized but just assumed that with solar, voltage drop was more important since your power source isn't the car alternator. So now I'm a bit smarter and understand how to calculate voltage drop.

For right now, I'm going to put all 4 UniSolar panels on the roof in parallel and hook them up to my existing SunForce 30 amp pwm controller. I've got a trip coming mid Feb to SW Utah where I should see some cold, clear nights. That will get my panel volts up high and I'll monitor how much power I'm losing with the pwm controller. That should be a good test for a decision on pwm vs mppt. In the mornings, my batteries will be discharged, so more charging power is important. Also will track my demand to see if I need the extra power or not.

With the panel pigtails and probably some 2 to 1 Y's or 4 to 1 Y's on the roof to combine the panels, my one way to the controller will probably be more like 12 feet. I'll need to design the layout and see what I get. With a 3% voltage drop, I can go up to 14 feet with all 4 panels in parallel and a single #10 wire. If that works out, I'll remove one of the #10 wires.
                            Thanks all for the help and advise provided. Really great site with great members. Learned a lot, still have a lot to learn

Comment

Working...