Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First RV... Weeee!

I just picked up a 1989 Ford E250 Fiesta RV. It has a normal house battery
    in the back along with an inverter for charging the house batter and powering
    the 12v system when hooked up to shore power. All of it is original except
    the battery which I just had replaced. I've just finished converting all the
    internal 12v lights to LED and my next project is to install a solar system.
    That being said, I'm looking at the GoPower Weekender SW Charging System (160 watts)
    but using one of the flex panels. I'm curious if you all have any advice or
    information on a system can interact with the current flooded battery
    and inverter I have in any way, if I should keep the two systems separate, or
    if I should ditch the current system when installing the solar system.

I've never done anything like this before and am learning and building from
    the ground up. So any advice, suggestions, or opinions would be greatly
    appreciated.

160w of PV power is not going to get you very far. You can charge a cell phone, use a laptop for a couple hours, and have a couple LED lights on. Not much more. No AC, no microwave, no fans. idling the engine for 30 minutes will accomplish the same thing.,
    160 w x 5 hours = 800wh
    120a alternator @ 14V = 1680w x .5h=840wh
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

You vehicle alternator can generate more power in 10 minutes than the panel can generate in a week.That ought to give you a hint.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        160w of PV power is not going to get you very far. You can charge a cell phone, use a laptop for a couple hours, and have a couple LED lights on. Not much more. No AC, no microwave, no fans. idling the engine for 30 minutes will accomplish the same thing.,
        160 w x 5 hours = 800wh
        120a alternator @ 14V = 1680w x .5h=840wh
        Thanks for the info! I'm mainly going to use the solar for the lights in the RV and possibly charging my cell phone. I'm not worried about a microwave as I have a propane stove to do my cooking. I don't really use a microwave in my house either. I work quite a ways from my job and I plan on taking the RV up to my job and staying in it during the week then coming back home on the weekends. The only other thing I might use is a laptop. I don't watch TV and don't own one at home either. However, if a laptop, lights, and cellphone is too much for that then I might need to look into getting something a bit more especially during times when weather is crappy. Which it often is here in Maryland lately.

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        You vehicle alternator can generate more power in 10 minutes than the panel can generate in a week.That ought to give you a hint.
        It tells me that my alternator can generate more power than the solar panel, yes. However, it doesn't really give me much of a hint on my main question on if the solar system can and/or should interact with the house battery and inverter I already have installed.. Thank you though.

Comment

It comes down to Cost vs. Convenience. Half hour of fuel to idle would be (wild guess, half gallon of gas) $2 ? 6 months would cost (182 days x $2 ) $365
          300W of solar panels plus Charge Controller, combiner box, breakers, wire, and the mounting gear for the panels, and if it's cloudy at all, or if you park in the shade, you STILL have to run the engine.
          Or park in the blazing sun, the panels work, and you have a little bit of power.
          (My 5Kw of panels, in the cloudy rainy weather, produces about 400W of power, so I run the genset in cloudy/foggy weather)
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            It comes down to Cost vs. Convenience. Half hour of fuel to idle would be (wild guess, half gallon of gas) $2 ? 6 months would cost (182 days x $2 ) $365
            300W of solar panels plus Charge Controller, combiner box, breakers, wire, and the mounting gear for the panels, and if it's cloudy at all, or if you park in the shade, you STILL have to run the engine.
            Or park in the blazing sun, the panels work, and you have a little bit of power.
            (My 5Kw of panels, in the cloudy rainy weather, produces about 400W of power, so I run the genset in cloudy/foggy weather)
            Ah, thank you for that information. I "could" go with a generator but I was trying to avoid something so easily stolen since the area I work in is around Baltimore and not the best area for such a thing. However, as my van is parked at my job when I'm not in it and I would be in it at other times I guess it's not a huge problem. Though, I would be parking at Target / Walmart and I guess I would need to check to see if it would be an issue running a generator there or if I should run it while at work to charge the batteries.

Comment

Give you something to try first as I do not think you have any need for Solar. For $50 buy you a good Electronic Battery Isolator and see how it works out for you. The Isolator will use your vehicle engine alternator to charge the house battery anytime the engine is running. If you properly size the battery like a pair of 6 volt 225 AH batteries (Golf Cart Batteries) should run your lights for several days and charge your phone and laptop my times than you can count before needing recharged.

If that does not work out them consider spending several hundred dollars on Solar. But like I said your engine alternator can do more in 15 minutes than the panel can do in a week. If your load is as light as you describe, running the engine during normal drive time once every few days should be more than enough. But the very first thing any RV should have is a Battery Isolator before doing anything else. Long term requires a generator regardless if you have solar or not. Take the steps in the right order and you will loikely discover you have no use for Solar and save yourself a bunch of money.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

the solar system will work fine with your battery and inverter. The solar system will connect to your battery and just keep it topped off. 160 watts is plenty for your needs. I use to run a fridge 24/7 with a 120 watt panel, so 160 should easily handle your lights and cellphone. No need for a generator or alternator. if you can fit a larger panel on your roof, that would be even better. i have a 240 watt panel on my astrovan. The bigger panel comes in handy during cloudy weather, it gives me some usable power that a smaller panel wont produce.
                Why rely on generators/alternators? solar does just as good as job as long as you have a large enough panel at practically no cost. Every couple years you need to replace the battery but thats years down the line.
                120 panel produces about 6 amps (with pwm controller) . 240 watt panel produces 12 amps (with mppt controller). Thats why bigger is better, even if you dont need all that power. its good to have and it will charge your battery quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by jony101 View Post
                  the solar system will work fine with your battery and inverter. The solar system will connect to your battery and just keep it topped off. 160 watts is plenty for your needs. I use to run a fridge 24/7 with a 120 watt panel, so 160 should easily handle your lights and cellphone. No need for a generator or alternator. if you can fit a larger panel on your roof, that would be even better. i have a 240 watt panel on my astrovan. The bigger panel comes in handy during cloudy weather, it gives me some usable power that a smaller panel wont produce.
                  Why rely on generators/alternators? solar does just as good as job as long as you have a large enough panel at practically no cost. Every couple years you need to replace the battery but thats years down the line.
                  120 panel produces about 6 amps (with pwm controller) . 240 watt panel produces 12 amps (with mppt controller). Thats why bigger is better, even if you dont need all that power. its good to have and it will charge your battery quicker.

Thanks! I had been looking at Go Power's panels but they only go up to 160. I'll have to research into reliable companies that make larger panels that will fit on the top of my RV.

Comment

You could get two of the 160 watt panels. Then with a mppt charge controller would put out up to 22 amps. But based on location and time of year would be 66 to 88 amp hours. So yes it will make a difference but the cost does add up to have a nice system.

I'm surprised how so many here try to chase off the new people interested in learning or trying to use solar.

Comment

Originally posted by jakesz28 View Post
                      I'm surprised how so many here try to chase off the new people interested in learning or trying to use solar.
                      Incorrect statement. Educate people what they are asking for. Not sugar coating it. You get the Truth here, not Hype.

Example getting 66 to 88 AH on an RV as you stated is Sugar Coated Hype assuming absolutely no shade from sun rise,to sun set, solar south orientation, and the correct tilt angle all of which is impossible on a moving target mounted on a FLAT ROOF. .
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by jakesz28 View Post
                        You could get two of the 160 watt panels. Then with a mppt charge controller would put out up to 22 amps. But based on location and time of year would be 66 to 88 amp hours. So yes it will make a difference but the cost does add up to have a nice system.

If "the new people" get more informed by an alternate version of reality offered free of charge from those with knowledge and experience that is unbridled by a financial stake in the outcome, they may learn and understand some of the bad info that is going to bite them in the butt from other sources that do have something to gain by puking out B.S

Some folks here actually know some of the difference between reality and hype. In any event, readers are always free to question opinions.

Welcome to the forum of few illusions. Stick around if you want it straight.

Comment

Working...
                        X