Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Marine System Build - looking for input.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Marine System Build - looking for input.

Looking to eliminate the use of our portable suitcase 2000w generator while out cruising so I've begun researching a solar set-up.
    Lots of info out there and trying to get the best bang for my buck (there's something new right, lol).

INFO;

Boat - Bayliner 3055, looking to mount flexible panels on the bimini in two available spaces, 31" x 80" each.
    Batteries - House = 4x Trojan T105 6V golf cart (7 years old), mounted in engine compartment, two on each side out board of engines.
    Loads - Fridge, 5-6 amps when running (approx. 40-50% of the time), coffee maker, kettle, TV/DVD at night, LED lights throughout, cell/laptop chargers.
    Location - Vancouver, BC

OBJECTIVES;

I want to build a reasonable quality/reliable system and utilize the available mounting space to maximize panel wattage.

PROPOSED SYSTEM;

EPSOLAR Tracer3215BN 30A MPPT Controller with MT50 and Remote Temp. Sensor
    http://www.epsolarpv.com/en/index.ph.../573/am_id/136
    Plan to mount the CC in a compartment just fwd of the engine compartment where the Xantrex Freedom 2000 inverter/charger is located.

4x 80W Monocrystalline Silicon, 28 Cells, voltage (vmp): 15.4V, Currant (Imp): 5.19A, Cell efficiency: 20% Sunpower cells.

Cables - MC-4 connectors, 8AWG, approx. 20' from panels to where the charge controller will mount

Remote Monitor - MT50, located in cabin.

RTS - since the CC is in a different compartment than the batteries are.

Installation - plan to wire up the 4x 80W panels in series. Connect the CC output to batteries at the 0/2AWG terminals on the Xantrex Freedom 2000 inverter/charger.

QUESTIONS

1) With 320 watts, should this set up keep my batteries up where I won't need to run the generator?

2) My research and sourcing led me to many offerings of these parts from China suppliers at considerable savings to the local guys. Want to support the local but need to be cost efficient too. Given we're talking the exact same parts, either here or from overseas, where should I buy?

Please offer up your opinions, experience and suggestions on my proposed system.

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers

Drinks well with others.

While we are very good here, just be sure to do specific marine research before opening wallet.

You know that flooded batteries should be mounted port to starboard, rather than bow to stern to help prevent the plates from becoming uncovered during sail right? Compass Marine can be an additional valuable resource.

Just sayin' - for the time being, keep wallet closed!

Comment

Keep your generator, you will need it. No way can solar eliminate your genny even if you have a big fat wallet and use $100 bills as fire wood.Your best bet is a good Marine auxiliary engine to generate power to charge batteries. Solar is just about completely useless on a boat. Boats do use batteries as house power, but use generators to charge them.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
        While we are very good here, just be sure to do specific marine research before opening wallet.

You know that flooded batteries should be mounted port to starboard, rather than bow to stern to help prevent the plates from becoming uncovered during sail right? Compass Marine can be an additional valuable resource.

Just sayin' - for the time being, keep wallet closed!
        Thanx for the heads up on the battery orientation. I operate a power boat and based on what the vid at Compass Marine says I'm configured correctly.
        Drinks well with others.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          Keep your generator, you will need it. No way can solar eliminate your genny even if you have a big fat wallet and use $100 bills as fire wood.Your best bet is a good Marine auxiliary engine to generate power to charge batteries. Solar is just about completely useless on a boat. Boats do use batteries as house power, but use generators to charge them.
          Always planned to keep it as an ultimate back up. Never truly expected for the solar to eliminate its use. A permanent generator install is brutally expensive and will only add unneeded weight to the stern of my twin 5.7 gassers.

Not sure I can agree with your "Solar is just about completely useless on a boat." statement. Many systems are operating successfully and with the falling pricing is growing more popular every day. Any input on my objectives is greatly appreciated.
          Drinks well with others.

Comment

Originally posted by SprinterX View Post
            Not sure I can agree with your "Solar is just about completely useless on a boat." statement. Many systems are operating successfully and with the falling pricing is growing more popular every day. Any input on my objectives is greatly appreciated.
            To get any useful production from a solar panel they must be stationary, oriented true solar south, correct tilt angle, and not as much as a mooring rope of a shadow cast upon them as any shade wil shut them down. Kind of hard to do on a boat. Here in Panama they have better luck with wind.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

For a Marine system in EU I’ve used an flexible panel with Sunpower cells (that for help local companies could be good ) they make panels from 5 to 300W and also “tailored” ones . Really light, you can install them very quickly and you can uninstall them with the same speed and also with a great efficiency (20%) . In my opinion a good solution for a Marine system

Comment

Working...
              X