X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNjunction
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by mike2881
    With that being said, I'd love to hear some actual feedback based on 2 x 100 watt panels.
    Ok - we have two somewhat fixed variables so we can work with that.

* 4 hours of solar insolation where you are located in winter. Not sunrise-to-sunset hours, but solar insolation.

* 200 watt's worth of nominal 12v panels and controller.

The only thing you can do since you want to be portable and go inexpensive, is run the typical 55-75ah agm. Dual purpose / marine / hybrid's - that kind of thing.

Think Optima Yellow or Blue top (light-colored cases, NOT black). Perhaps an Exide Edge "DP" or marine / dual purpose. East-Penn/Deka Intimidator.

Any sort of emergency load is what I'd consider 8 hours minimum. With that, you are limited to running say your typical small 100W MSW inverter. No need for higher wattage, as you won't have any runtime anyway.

Power up things like LED lights (like a 40-60w "equivalent" GE / Sylvania / Osram bulb that in reality only pull much less - like around .7 to 1.5 watts). Charge laptops, tablets and cellphones with mobile 12v cigarette lighter to 5v usb adapters. Small stuff, all the while keeping an eye out not to exceed 50% DOD.

Those two variables of only 200w of panel, going inexpensive, and only 4 hours of winter solar insolation means that the battery size is going to dictate the "emergency" loads you can run. You can't make the battery TOO big, or it will never get a good charge from a major emergency discharge, and will just sulfate instead.

What makes this frustrating for most, is that this is the BACKWARDS way to do it - the most expensive - and the most likely to be tossed into a corner of the garage never to be seen again once the thrill of solar and a premature battery failure is over.

But it will keep one entertained while they read up on how to do it right, and possibly replacing the entire project in the near future, since your LOAD requirements dictate all the rest of the components needed.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

I bet none of you would say this **** to my face because you'd be on the floor.
      I will take that bet any day. Such a tough guy with such thin skin got his poor little feelings hurt. 5 people like you show up here every day with the same silly questions they could have fully answered if you had just tried to search. The Stickies which you have not read would tell you everything and let you know what you are doing is futile. Your intelligence is showing by your laziness and use of words.

You have a 200 watt panel with 3.25 Sun Hours. You put the cart in front of the horse and shot yourself in the foot before the fight. All you can do is charge a 100 AH battery to charge cell phones and a laptop and not much else. Its a toy. You did exactly what most people come here do. Buy something and them comee where wondering why it did not work. That is your problem not ours. Now deal with it.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

I bet none of you would say this **** to my face because you'd be on the floor. Nice to have the protection of the internet between us,
        Sadly, you have misinterpreted my comments. I am trying to save you HOURS of disappointment and thousands of dollars. Please, slow down a bit, and reflect on the advice you have gotten, it's all pretty much about the same, 200W of panels will not do very much. A laptop, or a couple cell phones, a fan and 1 light. No fridge.

Batteries start to die and degenerate the minute they are made, They will test fine for years on float, but when the failure comes and you want to use them, and they last 10 minutes before fading out, then you are going to be unhappy. Your impression would be solar sucks. But it was the mis-application of the solar, not that solar is bad,

If I was ROTFL every time someone bought gear, wired it up, and then 2 days later kicked all that stuff into the dumpster because it "didn't work", I'd never be able to get up!

I've seen this question hundreds of times. and the "day after" : " why doesn't the $4,000 panel on a cart kit keep my fridge cold" questions, so many times, that just
        going to the generator, is the kinder answer.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• mike2881
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
          I will take that bet any day. Such a tough guy with such thin skin got his poor little feelings hurt. 5 people like you show up here every day with the same silly questions they could have fully answered if you had just tried to search. The Stickies which you have not read would tell you everything and let you know what you are doing is futile. Your intelligence is showing by your laziness and use of words.

You have a 200 watt panel with 3.25 Sun Hours. You put the cart in front of the horse and shot yourself in the foot before the fight. All you can do is charge a 100 AH battery to charge cell phones and a laptop and not much else. Its a toy. You did exactly what most people come here do. Buy something and them comee where wondering why it did not work. That is your problem not ours. Now deal with it.
          Go away.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Go away.
            Not going to happen.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

Go away.
              If you feel that strongly about it, you can use the Ignore List feature of the Forum software and never have to read a post by Sunking again. And he can do the same for you.
              And the rest of us can just read both sides and laugh.

You are also free to hold your breath until you turn blue in the face if you choose.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• TimDex
                • Jan 2014

Allow me to add a comment, as someone who got kind of pi**ed off when I first posted on this forum.

The information and no b.s. advice is priceless, and if the cost of that is losing a couple square inches of skin to a smart but somewhat rude guy who flames you, then just accept it. And bear in mind that the smart people on this forum have been putting up with visitors who are as ignorant as they are dogmatic for a very long time.

Read the stickies, even if they authored by someone who irritates you, and use the search function for questions similar to your own, and you will really learn something.

Tim

Comment

• ILFE
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2011

I didn't really catch a lot of flack when I first joined this forum. (I joined before I went out and spent money on my first off-grid array, which probably helped.) Of course, I also had a thick skin (like a dinosaur!). And, of course, there were members like Dereck (Sunking), Mike (Mike90250), as well as a few others instantly liked me. I'm sure that was due to my wonderful charm, wit, and all around great personality. Oh, and my modesty.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

mike2881, trust me on this. Some of these guys here may be a bit abrasive at times. But, I imagine it is due to constantly seeing new members join and post, AFTER they have spent tons of money on a system. I imagine it does grow tiresome to see people join and post, having not taken the time to do the proper research prior to pulling out the ol' credit card. Then, they (the newbies) have to go and replace a good portion of the stuff they bought after communicating with the guys here - who really do know what they are talking about. So, if you take time and read what they are posting, I assure you, you will come out ahead in the end.
                  Paul

Comment

Working...