This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@greenmachine101 and all new posters.

Before people post some link to one of the DIY sites please try to be sure it is not one of the shyster sites where for a few bucks and an afternoon you can build a solar panel and have no electric bill.

Links to clickbank will be removed as soon as noticed.

These DIY sites that pay you per click are not doing anyone but themselves any good. All the information they provide for money you can find on the net for free.
    Last edited by russ; 09-29-2010, 01:35 AM. Reason: addittion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

So DIY Solar panels are out of the Question..?

So what am I to do spent $7 to 10 K for a system....
      Ernie

Comment

I wish that I would have bought a book on solar panels and such because I have spent a lot of time tring to find out different things.
        Yes I know most just want my money..
        So hopefully this site will give me the answers..
        Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by Eherst98 View Post
          I wish that I would have bought a book on solar panels and such because I have spent a lot of time tring to find out different things.
          Yes I know most just want my money..
          So hopefully this site will give me the answers..
          Ernie
          Just ask the questions

Anyway, here's what's known:
          DIY panels are not certified, and mounting them on any insured structure, will void the insurance policy on that structure.

Local electrical inspectors and building inspectors will not pass homemade panels, and you will not be allowed to connect them to household wires.

Local electric company, will disconnect your house if they find unauthorized inverters back-feeding their lines.
          part of the application to be an "Electrical Generating Station under 11KWH" is to supply signed building permits to your electric company/supplier
          New electronic meters only count UP. 50 watts in, or 50 watts out, makes the meter count up. Most new installs, will require a 2nd meter, to measure the solar contribution. Don't you love it !
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I enjoyed your post. Between you and Mike90250 I have come to realize that DIY solar panels aren't going deliver what I am looking for.
            I have contacted a professional company to give me a quote on a real system, meanwhile, i will be building my own panel, on a smaller scale to power just a few items: lights etc.
            anyway, thanks for the post.

Comment

Underdeveloped countries

Hi - I'm new here. I'm building a couple of panels as a test. This will be used in my home with battery storage and mains backup for a biocycle air pump. I'm not pretending that this is cost effective. It's just for experience.

I'm planning to build panels in remote areas of Cambodia where there's no electricity - just need enough to drive a couple of light globes at night while mothers give birth. There is little money, so they can't afford to buy them. In this case, DIY is justified, but it has to be effective.

From what I understand, the best and most reliable way would be :

1. Tempered glass
              2. Slygard sealant over the cells.
              3. Aluminium angle surround.
              4. Plastic backing.
              5. Silicone sealant all around.

I know it can be done cheaper, but I want a long term solution.

I would appreciate any advice, and whether is essential to find low iron glass.

Comment

hi rhjames, low iron glass at 4mm thick will allow about 3% more light through than float glass, so the difference can be overcome by adding a few extra cells and saving money.

if you get hail then tempered would be good, if not you can probably get away with non tempered glass, not sure of what you can get locally but thats the best option for glass and frames. Old shower doors and sliding doors are mostly tempered, or for non tempered glass look at regular aluminium framed windows, all these items have much better frames already than you can home make and save more time and money.

using sylgard as you want to is a good idea, will seal it the best possible for the rainy weather if you completely encapsulate the cells. also backing material may not be required with sylgard , once they are mounted correctly should be little harm coming from the back, being open also allows to visually see all parts easy and allows the cells to cool better.

hope this helps

Comment

@ rhjames - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

What you are describing is a fine use for a DIY project. Many developing countries have import duties that prohibit many good things from happening - or at least only though approved channels so the importer can rip you off!

Let us see what more assistance and advice members can offer.

Russ
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Russ - thanks. The replies also give me confidence that I'm on the right track. Tomorrow I'll investigate the use of shower screens using tempered glass. Probably have to be custom made, as it would be unlikely to find something the right size, but shouldn't cost too much. Otherwise, I can just try to buy a piece of 4mm tempered glass cut to size, and fit a basic aluminium channel or angle to it with some adhesive. Then just rely on the Slygard to protect the cells.

I'd prefer the tempered glass for where these would eventually go - kids throwing rocks etc.

Comment

Come on, really now.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob View Post
                      I think DIY has its place, but you just have to know where that place is.
                      Really? And where is that place. Somewhere no one wishes to discuss?

I think the problem with this thread is, possibly, the more experienced are offering "don't do this, don't do that" style advice. Perhaps the negative tone would be lessened a bit with some real advice? This isn't real advice, it is hypothetical, put forth as only an example, of, perhaps what us beginners might like to see. Real advice would be appreciated.

For example: (Hypothetical - Not Real Advice!)

1. If you cannot get a solar rebate / grant in your area, and
                      2. You have adequate ground space with no fire hazards in the area and
                      3. The area you choose could sustain a localized fire without spreading to nearby structures and
                      4. The panels were fabricated without the use of wood or any truly flammable materials and
                      5. Your investment could be realized in under 5 years

THEN

An undertaking of DIY 1kW system may be for you.

Real advice comes with stipulations, parameters, and realism.
                      Thanks
                      Last edited by kcarring; 12-03-2010, 12:09 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

re:Come on, really now.

Not having positive advice about building DIY PV panels, I can only point out the pitfalls to beware of, and the safety issues.

I cannot endorse anyone using plastic fronts, wood products, or relying on paints and epoxys to seal the cells from the enviroment. One of the hardest things is getting flat tab wire, so you don't have bumps that break the cells. Cleaning the flux off the soldered cells is tough to do at home too. That's the stuff they don't talk about in the internet books and scams.

Saying positive things about a difficult DIY job is tough, as most folks don't have access to a vacuum laminator.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

My system & point of view

While I

Comment

@ Kev - You are the type of guy who can do it. A true handyman with the skills and tools.

Most people have not tried this type of project before and they can easily end up with problems.

Well done and keep it up!

Russ
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

My System

Hey, thanks Russ. I had to learn out of necessity. I couldn

Comment

From what I have seen and read over the last few days, it's better to spend the extra $0.60-$0.79 a watt and just get a UL listed, manufactured panel.

With them hovering around $2/watt (much less if you want sub-100w panels) there really is no reason to take the risk. I have now built 2 panels which I'll try to find some use for, they look solid to me, but not worth the chance of a fire mounting them anywhere near my house after seeing and hearing of the horror stories. When eventually want to grid tie I'll just buy a bunch of 220 watt canadian solar panels for around $2/watt and be safe in the event that something goes wrong. (insurance and building code wise). In that situation I imagine I'll probably need to have certified personnel install them at a crazy fee, but insurance is insurance.

Comment

Working...
                                X