Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know of any 24V 8kW inverter? - Newbie

Hi guys,

Do you know of any 24V 8kW inverter? I can't seem to find any on the internet. I found one but I had to email him first for the price; did not reply yet to my email.

Please guys if you know any. Thanks very much!

Doubtful you will find one as it would be a huge liability for a manufacture. If you do, do not buy it. Way too dangerous and just asking for a fire. You might be able to find a Chi-Com model because if it does burn your house down you have no way to file a claim or file a law suite.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Doubtful you will find one as it would be a huge liability for a manufacture. If you do, do not buy it. Way too dangerous and just asking for a fire. You might be able to find a Chi-Com model because if it does burn your house down you have no way to file a claim or file a law suite.
      Is that just because of the inherent danger of having over 300A of DC input?

Or is there some other limitation or code requirement?
      16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

Originally posted by pleppik View Post

It is not a code requirement, it is a matter of good engineering design not to try to get that power output from a 24 volt battery bank, and there is a definite safety concern about DIY wiring of 300+A DC. DC fuses and breakers are hard to find at the high current levels, crimping of cable terminations becomes critical and requires proper tools rather than just a hammer or pliers.
        Just not a good idea, and therefore the judgement of any manufacturer that offers such a product is immediately questionable.
        Last edited by inetdog; 03-15-2014, 05:46 PM.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by pleppik View Post

No engineering practice.

To run 300 amps of current takes some very large cables of up to 500 MCM and larger. It is almost impossible for DIY to terminate those kinds of cables properly, or perform proper maintenance. Just one loose connection or poor termination with a heavy load will send the cables up in flames.

It is just bad engineering and practice. It can be done, but only in industrial and commercial applications where the installers and maintenance people are trained and experienced professionals. DIY have no biz fooling with such systems. I use a lot of small 10 Kva UPS systems and those inverters operate on 144 volt battery. Large scale UPS operate up to 600 volt battery. 24 volt 8 Kva is just plain foolish.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
          X