Can I hookup grid tie panels in series (the "24 volt" ones) directly to 24v inverter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bahamasolarnoob
    • Apr 2013

Can I hookup grid tie panels in series (the "24 volt" ones) directly to 24v inverter?

Can I hookup 4x240w panels in series (the "24 volt" ones) directly to a 24v 1000w inverter? Is this possible?
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bahamasolarnoob
    Can I hookup 4x240w panels in series (the "24 volt" ones) directly to a 24v 1000w inverter? Is this possible?
    If the inverter is an off grid type then I will say no.

First off the series voltage for those panels will come to ~ 96 volts which may exceed the input voltage of your inverter.

Second the panels output will be inconsistent based on the amount of sunlight that is hitting them. The load connected to your inverter will be starting and stopping when the sun light is good or bad. You need to have a battery feeding the inverter to have a constant power source. You will then need a charge controller between your panels and the battery.

If the inverter is a grid tie type then again it depends on the input voltage rating.

You need to provide more information on the inverter and what you plan to use it for.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 06-10-2013, 10:32 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

• bahamasolarnoob
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
      If the inverter is an off grid type then I will say no.

First off the series voltage for those panels will come to ~ 96 volts which may exceed the input voltage of your inverter.

Second the panels output will be inconsistent based on the amount of sunlight that is hitting them. The load connected to your inverter will be starting and stopping when the sun light is good or bad. You need to have a battery feeding the inverter to have a constant power source. You will then need a charge controller between your panels and the battery.

If the inverter is a grid tie type then again it depends on the input voltage rating.

You need to provide more information on the inverter and what you plan to use it for.
      Well, I was thinking out loud and looking at that youtube video again with that guy running his poolpump of 4x120 w panels. It was posted last week here I believe. I get the basics of a simple solar set up, I was just wondering if what he did with a 12v system could be done with 4x240w panels (Voc 36v), a 24v inverter (1000-1500 w) and without a charge controller.

Yes in my case an off grid situation. I guess better leave it alone hah.

He has 4 (?) inverters running, totalling 1650 w.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

No not in series without a MPPT controller.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• bahamasolarnoob
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
          No not in series without a MPPT controller.
          Ok thanks

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Well, I was thinking out loud and looking at that youtube video again with that guy running his poolpump of 4x120 w panels. It was posted last week here I believe. I get the basics of a simple solar set up, I was just wondering if what he did with a 12v system could be done with 4x240w panels (Voc 36v), a 24v inverter (1000-1500 w) and without a charge controller.

By the way. Those inverters are of poor quality and have been known to fail violently starting fires. They are also not UL listed and can't be plugged into a home receptacle to "grid tie" them. They are technically illegal in the US and if your house burns down because of them your insurance company will probably not pay off the damages.

Don't believe everything you see on youtube. Sometimes it is complete fraud and other times it is someone that has no idea of what they are doing which can hurt others that copy their work.

Comment

• green
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2012

Yes and for all the money he shelled out for those pieces of illegal junk, they were only putting out 350 watts. I didn't hear how much panel he was running (I don't really care) but if it was close to the 1600W worth of inverter, that's a whopping 21% efficiency.

I love how people say stuff like " I can run my pool pump all day and it doesn't cost me a penny". Well, how much did all that equipment cost, and how much is it going to cost when your house burns down and the fire investigators find those junk inverters, and your insurance claim is denied.

PEOPLE..do the math. If his system produces 350W for 4 hours a day that is 1.4KWh of electricity worth a whopping $0.15 where I live. Not worth the initial cost or more importantly the ongoing danger and potential liability.

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

Originally posted by green
                The math. If his system produces 350W for 4 hours a day that is 1.4KWh of electricity worth a whopping $0.15 where I live. Not worth the initial cost or more importantly the ongoing danger and potential liability.
                So it doesn't save money and it may burn the house down, but it's the principle of the thing that's important....
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Oct 2011

You need to read through his replies to some of the comments.

...The solar is tied into the grid three the pool pump panel...
                  He's not running off grid like you are talking about doing.

Comment

Working...