X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bibligal
    • May 2013

Connecting MC4 cable to charge controller

Hello everyone,

I have trawled the Internet tonight looking for help/information or even confirmation that what I want to do is practical. I want to use my new 100w folding panel with my old controller. I will be buying MC4 male and female cables that are stripped on the other end. I want to buy eyelets to connect to the threaded thumb screw connectors on controller. My question is: what eyelets should I buy and how should I crimp them on to the wires.

Any help would be welcomed.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Bib
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Bibligal
    Hello everyone,

I have trawled the Internet tonight looking for help/information or even confirmation that what I want to do is practical. I want to use my new 100w folding panel with my old controller. I will be buying MC4 male and female cables that are stripped on the other end. I want to buy eyelets to connect to the threaded thumb screw connectors on controller. My question is: what eyelets should I buy and how should I crimp them on to the wires.

Any help would be welcomed.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Bib
    Buy ones with insulated barrels that are rated to fit your wire size. Get a crimp tool that goes with them.
    A hardware store or electronics store should have both.
    Fortunately, for a 100w panel you will not be looking at particularly large wires; a simple hand tool should do the job.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Most of the MC4 cables are about the size of #10 awg wire. The terminals that you want to crimp on the ends should be yellow in color which are good for #12 to # 10 wire. Just make sure you don't cut off any of the wire fibers when you strip off the insulation. That will reduce the wires capacity.

Comment

• Bibligal
        • May 2013

Thanks

Hello Inetdog and Sun Eagle. Thanks for your advice. My concern was that I couldn't see anyone else doing what I wanted to do on the Internet. I wasn't sure of the wisdom of doing it.

Many thanks.
        Bib

Comment

Working...