Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pvs have no power

Just found this form and newest member.

I am building the most Eco friendly low impact home I can here in Costa Rica.
    ISO shipping containers very nicely done, Reforested, dead fall and reclaimed wood only.
    reclaimed batteries that are still good and have lots life in them. Former Gov batteries that are replaced yearly and rarely see much use.
    Off the grid with 12v LED lighting that will pull about 4-5 amps max with the house fully lit up.
    1000 plus watts of power off the PVs when I have all of them installed.
    I expect we will use less than 4 kws per day.
    Might sell off excess if they hydro co provides the inverter down the road.

here is the deal
    I have some pv panels that put out no power. Zero on the my tester.
    My friends and I bartered these panels last year for some work and help I gave them.

Some of the panels are not putting out any power.

Fuse bridge is fine and wondering if it might be a diode?
    Connections are clean all looks good.
    Must be internal?

I asked the former owner to give me some tips on what it might be but no reply.

Anyone that could help me with some tips on where to look I would appreciate it.

model is not that good but hell they where free and will serve the purpose for what I will need.
    Pacific solartec panels.

The Co I got them form installed them on a project here and not happy with the total out put so replaced them and mothballed them in the storage locker until I came along.

I can cover over 160sq2 of roof top with these If I can get them all working.
    right now I have them over the deck. 100sq' of them

Not a perfect angle but catches good light most of the day and pumping out power 11 hours each day.

will post photos later too big to upload.

Any help on troubleshooting these would be great.

Steve

Perform a Voc and Isc test on each panel. If they do not pass, they are toast.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

If you didnt understand what Sunking said to do.
      Pace each panel out in the sun. get a multimeter. measure voltage.Its DC .
      now reconnect the cables in the multimeter to read AMPS. Most multimeters have a 10A range. now connect the probes to the output wires from each panel and note the AMPS.
      Example if they are panels for 12v battery. you will or should if they ok get reading like 18v and 5A if they are 100w panels. You will get higher or lower AMPS if above or below rated 100w panels..

If the panels were working before being removed from the previous building youshould get at least some readings. If you get nothing, tough ,they are scrap and cant be easily repaired.

Comment

Try reading this Thread. It should help.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
        X