BUILDING A SOLAR CHARGING STATION FOR E-BIKE and need schematic help to wire BADLY!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allkapz
    • May 2013

BUILDING A SOLAR CHARGING STATION FOR E-BIKE and need schematic help to wire BADLY!!!

Hello ladies and gents,

I am not goin to lie, I am confused. I have 6x20 watt panels (each came with a rinky-dink charge controller) and an Ebike which currently charges via its 120 v ac power cord. I want to have the option of charging my bike with the panels which leads me to 2 questions......

1-Do I have compatible components to meet my needs.

2-Is this something that a reasonably intelligent individual can do on his own, or should this reasonably intelligent individual pay someone to do it. hehe.

I have checked around the forum and to be honest, there are ALOT of numbers being thrown around and its a little confusing, I certainly dont want to damage any of my components, especially the bike. Any help or direction to applicable help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    May the sun always shine. Cheers!
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Allkapz
    May the sun always shine. Cheers!
    Pardon my joking, but you should not need any help to wire badly.

a. 120 watts is not particularly useful. Look at what the AC charger draws (Get a Kill-a-Watt meter.)
    b. Using small (20 watt) panels is the most expensive possible way you can go with PV.
    c. Tell us more about the charge controllers and the power drain of the charger, as well as how long it takes for a full charge on AC.

2. A reasonably intelligent person who does some research (the sticky threads here are a good start) can do it. Someone you pay to do it may not be able to.
    3. But first ask yourself whether it makes sense to do it at all. (read the stickies....)
    4. May it always shine, indeed, but not always here. Night has its good points too. (I am also a flashaholic.)
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Allkapz
      • May 2013

Point taken, I do not wish to wire them badly......more info

I will start by saying that I did not purchase these panels and controllers, rather they were given to me and i have been trying to find a reasonable use for them. Having said that:
      The panels contain this information...(again there are six in total)

Open circuit voltage 43.2
      Peak voltage 38
      Rated power 20v

The charge controllers that came with have 6 leads, +/- "panels in", +/- "dc load out" and battery leads.

The "charger" (because technically I dont know if its an inverter/transformer or what?) that came with the E bike reads as follows:
      Input 110 vac Output 59.2 vdc.
      It is hard to determine how long the bike takes to charge from completely dead, however after 2+ hours of riding it requires an overnight charge prob in the neighbourhood of 5-8 hours.
      Further adding to my "New guy dreams and unfulfilled expectations" I will pose this question as well; Would it be at all practical to make a trailer with the panels in tow, where the power could extend the initial charge?

Again, I appreciate your help, I am currently sifting through the forums as I have only been a member for around half an hour. Thanks again for any direction you could give.

Comment

Working...