A quick question regarding a small grid tie.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
    That would have to be a chemical treatment like chlorine wouldn't it? Just like any municipal water system. Another way is to NUKE IT like most packaged food today is.
    They were using UV lamps in one portion of the process but you are correct there also was chlorine or some type of alkali along with I believe iodine.

I didn't focus on the water treatment part I was more interested in how they were using the solar panels to generate the power to run the system. The problem was getting enough of those flexible pv panels that would fit on a 10 x 10 tent to power the unit. This was a few years ago but it looked like they were on their way to having a nice package.

Comment

• green
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Philliplee
      Yikes, this place is rough.

I'll inquire a more creative and polite group.

Thank you for the time and those who've helped, I appreciate it.
      If you want to go to a forum where people will discuss illegal and dangerous practices, there are some out there. This is not one of them. You get straight forward answers that cut to the truth here. It does come across as rough, but sometimes the truth hurts. I felt similar to you when I first came here, but I soon realized I needed to hear the answers from people that knew, not assume I knew everything already. All I can say is be careful when taking advice on the internet about anything to do with electricity. Consider the source. The people on this forum have years of experience that you would be wise to take advantage of.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Philliplee

I'd prefer not to answer some of these as they are not relevant to this topic, specifically the course, our doctors information, and school. Though I assure you, the device stays in our hands and does get dismantled afterwards. Don't want your school to know you are trying to get others to support an illegal action?

I find this to be a disappointing post, and from a mod! Certainly if I wanted to share my location with the world, I'd happily do so, please respect members privacy. This topic is aimed towards helping students with safety, viability, and understanding on PV systems, not constantly berating me for lack of knowledge on a subject.
        Get over it - You are talking about an action that is illegal in the US - we have evey right to know where you are in general terms - If just saying Michigan gets to close to you then you should consider moving to mars or similar.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by FloridaSun
          Easily purchased online. ... ah, guess I can post a link, no competition with our sponsor.

Best deal I've ever seen for easy pure water. Only extra item you need is a bucket. I use a single 3 gal. white paint bucket from walfart tho the two bucket system they show would provide better convenience. I never have to buy bottled water and no need to store the usual 20 gal. that I used to stock for hurrycane season as I've a lake in the front yard. If people had these in N.O. when Katrina hit they wouldn't have been so thirsty.
          Removes:

• 99% Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
          • 95% Chlorine and Chloramines
          • 99% Taste
          • 99% Odor
          • 98% Aluminum
          • 96% Iron
          • 98% Lead
          • 90% Pesticides
          • 85% Herbicides
          • 85% Insecticides
          • 90% Rodenticides
          • 85% Phenols
          • 85% MTBE
          • 85% Perchlorate
          • 80% Trihalomethanes
          • 95% Poly Aromatic Hydrocarbons
          • 99.99% of particles larger than 0.2 micron, including Anthrax (Staffordshire University Labs)
          • 100% Giardia Lamblia
          • 100% Cyclospora
          • 100% live Cryptosporidium (WRc Standard)
          • 100% Cryptosporidium (NSF Standard 53 – A.C. fine dust – 4 log challenge)
          • 100% E. Coli, Vibrio Cholerae (Johns Hopkins University)
          • 99.999% Salmonella Typhil, Shigella Dysenteria, Kiebsiella Terrigena (Hyder Labs)
          • 99.9% Virus (Ceutical Lab, a FDA Registered Laboratory)
          • National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 42
          • National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 53
          • USA AEL Laboratories
          • USA Analytical Food Laboratories
          • USA Johns Hopkins University
          • Ceutical Laboratory, a FDA Registered Laboratory
          I got one of those water filter kits and it is a nice little package. Perfect for using available water (like my pool) if case the city water is interrupted after a hurricane. It beats filling a dozen plastic bottles from the tap before the hurricane hits.

I will probably go with the 2 bucket system. It is very easy to build. Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate it.

Comment

• FloridaSun
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
            I got one of those water filter kits and it is a nice little package. Perfect for using available water (like my pool) if case the city water is interrupted after a hurricane. It beats filling a dozen plastic bottles from the tap before the hurricane hits.

I will probably go with the 2 bucket system. It is very easy to build. Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate it.
            yer welcome SunEagle
            I bought two kits, one for back up, but haven't needed it yet and don't expect to need it for years. After six months of use with well water I've only had to rinse it off once for maintenance. Rube Goldberg designs for water purification are interesting but I like simplicity for anything really dependable.

Comment

Working...