Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Practical application for a 200W panel with 1 kwh battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, we should not give up.
    We get the knowhow here, the time will come where everything can be affordable.
    The panels price is cheaper than before, the other things will also.
    New inventions also revealed.

Comment

Hey,
      You're right - the cost of solar panels are really affordable now. Heck, we can build our own with semi-decent quality for only a few hundred dollars now.

It's all these regulatory / permits / contracts with utility companies that is such a pain.

I think it's a conspiracy - they make it hard for us to install solar panels. If we all did it, they'll lose business.

I should start a battery bank business; and connect to every home that has a solar panel.

Comment

No conspiracy at all. Most people have no idea in what is involved in constructing a home let alone any kind of industry.

Anytime you connect into an 'outside battery limits' system you can expect headaches (possibly with the exception of telephone connections.

Rules and regulations are there for a reason - usually a good one. Maybe things get mucked up over time and the original reason is lost or no longer relevant.

There are more shysters around than people who know what they are doing.

While the labor component of an install is not small I believe it would not normally be the stopper for a project.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by solarnoobie View Post
          I think it's a conspiracy - they make it hard for us to install solar panels. If we all did it, they'll lose business.
          Not at all. You are overlooking some major issues. Not only are you putting yourself at risk, but you are also putting the public welfare at risk. Look at it like driving a car, they don't let any idiot loose on the streets.

As for the electric companies loosing money you would be dead wrong as that is where the real conspiracy lies. Regulations are extremely tough for any electric company to build new generation plants and prohibitively expensive. For example in California, there has been no new power generation built in 20 years. California now has to import 25% of their power and that is growing everyday.

Instead what the Electric Utilities are doing in cooperation of your government is letting you use your own money, to build capacity for them. You have to buy it (along with your tax dollars), maintain and operate it at your expense. They take the money they would normally use to reinvest in capital projects to build new generation capacity, and now keep it and pay share holder dividends. So they are making lots of money. The a few years down the road, we will hit a brick wall, and demand will exceed capacity and demand more power. Guess where the government and utilities are going to go to get their money to build power plants that we made them stop building?
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            Guess where the government and utilities are going to go to get their money to build power plants that we made them stop building?
            We? Excuse me? They have created too many bureaucracies because they use them to facilitate and/or exploit commerce.
            They've run out of ways to squeeze even more money out of the process and its a stopper. Things are ridiculous.

One time, my friend who lived by the river was clearing a place on the bank when a forest ranger or somebody like that saw him, stopped him, on his own property, and explained he could not use artificial methods to clear a bank so many feet from the water. He bought a goat.

You guys are depressing.

Thank goodness for MarineLiner
            No, we should not give up.

People buying or starting with panels first is going to happen more often than the people that come in here and say... 50 grand? No problem. Make it so....
            Those kinds of people probably rather call their contractor.

I'm not letting you guys talk me out of it.
            I'm going to treat it like a hobby, something to do.
            ...just solar panels and batteries instead of stamps or choo choo trains.

...still, the technical info you guys give is important and never wasted.

Comment

Working...
            X